GrandLocomon

Fake plants not intended for aquarium use; are they safe?

I just picked up some 3 feet long plants from rave for $2.50 each. They were in the craft section, but strongly resemble aquarium plants with the way they branch. Also the attachments of the leaves to the stem is typical of cheap aquarium plants.

In fact, they are almost the same as these (except the base of my ones all join into one thick stem whereas this product is 3 different parts attached to a base):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/351263782182?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Does anyone have any experience in using these sort of craft items as aquarium decorations? Is there a good way to tell if they are safe for use or not?

I've currently got them soaking in a bucket to see if they are colourfast, then I intend to silicone them to a base. If this works out I will be really happy!

No they don't say that. They don't actually say anything. It just had a price tag on it. I've noticed the bottom stem/branching is plastic coated wire, so that will be removed. Now that I've noticed that, I'm 95% confident it is otherwise the exact same thing as the marineland 3 foot plant. I've seen a video of it up nice and close on YouTube and it is visually identical.

However, just because it looks the same, doesn't mean it is. The material may be somehow different or it may have been treated/not been treated for aquarium use. This is now my only concern. At this point, unless someone has some anecdotal horror story, I'm going to try it out.

Rave is like a $2 store. The girl at the checkout asked me what I was going to use them for (her tone made it sound like she had no idea what anyone would want them for) and I said I'm going to use them in an aquarium. She didn't say anything about it, but one can't really expect that she'd know if it were ok or not. I did have plants that have wire in them and were intended for aquarium use. The wire rusted, but nothing happened to the fish. Needless to say, those plants have ended up in the bin and that is why I was definitely going to remove the wired portion. I have plenty of small tanks that I could set up for the fishes and use a portion to see if they are ok. I'm going to check whether they seem to leach anything into water by itself first though. If they do I will find some other use for them instead (maybe just bin fodder bahahaha).

I did have plants that have wire in them and were intended for aquarium use. The wire rusted, but nothing happened to the fish. Needless to say, those plants have ended up in the bin

I had the same experience.

Dark grey/green flat Fern ones.

Only knew they were rusting by redbrown stains on plastic.