msc0433

Laguna 16000 lph best size pipe for pumping water to tanks

Hi people I will be replumbing my system in the coming months and was wondering what size pipe should I attach to the Laguna pump to get the most out of it. It will be pumping about 2 meters high and then traveling abit everywhere as there are plenty of tanks to go too. Is there a guide to using a certain size pipe to a certain size pump to get most water delivery to tanks. Thanks. Mark.

Hey mark

what kind of fittings do you have on the end of the pump? Does it have a directional join on the end to point upwards to using it in a sump?

Ah yeah so it just connects on easily?

Got any pics?

Was thinking of trying to fit a laguna pump in my newest system since they don't use too much power

but wasn't sure on how the fittings work

I upgraded to one of these the other day from AOA (thanks Josh) since the two cheapy ones before that died less than 12 months each... the Laguna puts out more than the other two that were rated higher flow rate. I like the removable outlet pipe so you can fit the tube on away from the pump body. I have a 32 flexi plugging to 32 pipe and had to put on a T with a tap to bleed back into the sump.

I originally plumbed my big rack return straight 25mm all the way through on my 19,000 and it restricts the flow that's for sure. I'm in the boat with upgrading. I'm gonna make my main return line 40mm and then tee'd off to the tanks with the original 25mm. Should make a difference but I'll be reading on what other people think

If you are worried about performance, use large diameter pipe right to the top level and ideally as a ring circuit so you have equal pressure before you start smaller diameter dead end branches. Each bend will reduce water momentum considerably.

Doubling the pipe diameter will give you four times flow through as a general rule.

Hi Shon.

Have a ribbed flexible fitting at end of pump 32 mm I believe for slow 90 degree transition to point up

Where did you get the ribbed flexible fitting from? I am after 3 metres of 25mm size but not sure where to get them. Appreciate if you could let me know. Cheers!

I have used and still am using 25mm for all my plumbing returns, my 16000 has been going a few years like this... I have not checked the LPH any special way but I cant see any difference compared to friends tanks, of course you would lose some flow due to friction loss using smaller pipes but I think for the amount of water we are pushing its really going to be minimal.

I like to use loco lines too / small pipe at the very end of the return which technically is also going to create some loss, but with the jet it actually pushes the water well not just a gentle push!

Your best method would be 2" ribbed flexible hosing or using 2inch pvc and heating it up (propane torch etc) to create slight turns, avoid creating 90s as much as possible.... if you do try to bend heated pipe give it a few tries on some off cuts or something first !

Of course this is like asking how many times per hour you cycle your water over.... different strokes for different folks .... I even love putting excessive elbows on my dump lines as it makes them dead quite with a little mod to the inside of the tank I have had people wonder if the tanks are even running. How does it work I have no clue but it does lol. few theories....

When you have to make a corner bend on your rigid pvc return piping, instead of using a 90 degree elbow fitting, try using 2 x 45 degree elbow fittings instead.

Use a piece of pvc pipe to glue the two 45 degree elbow fittings together to make a softer corner. I was advised by somebody who designs water circulation systems for a living that it makes a big difference to your friction loss on corners.

Cheers, Doug

Yup pretty much whenever water is going to directly hit a wall its not good, it does not go around the bend and is forced as such.... bit like driving can go much faster around a roundabout then you can a 90 degree left or right turn.... with exceptions again!

Quite hopeless at explaining things over the pc =(