Kitah

how many lph and recommendation for 8x2x2 sump pump

Hey guys, sorry I know similar things have been posted before, but theyre been for different sized tanks.

I have a 8x2x2 american cichlid tank that is light to moderately stocked at present, but I am growing up more cichlids to move in. The sump is 6x1.5x1.5ft with mesh filter socks and fine filter wool replaced every few days as required, a thicker sponge, and 25kg of ceramic rings. I am considering getting k1 but havent made my mind up there.

At the moment it is running a small eheim pump but the volume is far from adequate- it is just coping now. I was thinking maybe 10,000lph flow rate and was considering a laguna pump. I have a smaller one running on my turtle setup and it has been running for years 24/7 never a single hiccup so I am quite happy with it. Open to suggestions though.

Summary- is 10,000lph a good flow rate for this setup, with 2 bulkheads draining out of the tank and one return. and recommendations on pump? Laguna, aquael (electronic flow rate adjustment or no? Admittedly the aquael plus version is sorta out of my price range.. could make the stretch if I had to but the $350 for the laguna or slightly cheaper standard aquael is more within reach.

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=4236&catID=13

http://www.thetechden.com.au/Aquael_Aquajet_PFN_10000_p/103351.htm

http://www.thetechden.com.au/Aquael_Aquajet_PFN_10_000_p/111502.htm

Edited by Kitah

If you want to run 10000 lph you will need 6-7 holes in tank to drain fast enough. And I believe sumps work best at slower rates

ps i run a tunze 3000 on my 8x2 with 2 bulk heads draining and I have to tap off some water back to the sump as pump is already too powerful

Oh really? I was reading everywhere people run 10,000 lph. I had wondered if it would drain fast enough. Glad i asked! The pump in there at the moment is a eheim compact 3000+. Do you think i would need to upgrade then or leave as is?

Also to clarify, I havent had issues yet, just thought it may not be enough of a flow rate for a heavily stocked tank considering other tank builds said they had much higher flow rates- hence why I asked!

Thanks guys :)

Edited by Kitah

Yes I agree with above, not exactly on the brand but something around the 3000 iwth a good head height. Check your brands and way up the long term cost. If you went over 4500lph you would be taping off more then what you need.

50% less power not bad! Just to confirm, you guys mean this one? If so, I will probably still get one and keep the eheim as a spare. Never hurts to have a back up plan.

Age of Aquariums - Tunze Silence Water Pump 1073.040

the stand is 1m high, and the shelf the sump is on is about 10-15cm high.. so 90cm head height? Would i be better off with a 4000lph then? Doesnt the flow rate drop with increased head height i.e. tunze 3000lph, the 3000lph is the MAX flow so realistically with 90cm hh it would be less?

also, i do run a 2000lph internal power filter i clean regularly that picks up a lot of debris and moves the water a bit more. Will look at switching to a wave maker or standard powerhead instead. Saves such regular cleaning of the internal filter sponges.

Edited by Kitah

Yes that is the pump. It cranks too Another thing i use is a tunze combline filter it only uses 3.5 watts and does 1800 lph and you can pack marine pure in it with sponge as well

Awesome.. so glad I asked. I've had tanks for years(one I've had with my turtle for 9 years) and never had issues, very rarely do I lose fosh. But until this 8ft setup I've always used canisters. Always something new to learn.

Very happy with the sump, just fine-tuning to make sure my fish stay happy and healthy. So sorry about the questions but I appreciate the help!