lenny

labidochromis mbamba

markfnq, mate they look awesome i would be interrested in a couple of pairs, i would like 1m for my display tank and 1m/2f to start a colony , i would be prepared to drive up to collect them and maybe some more depending on what you have available

cheers mate will wait to hear from you.

thanks lenny

Awesome fish, harder to find these days as bloody mpanga breed so much that they have swamped the market.

But they are out there still.

I think it's also the aggression that has greatly reduced their popularity. The teeth on them can do so much damage - have real doubts they are truly a "Labidochromis"...

hi donny, as none said they can be agro, but if managed right i think they can be a nice addition to a display tank. my intentions are to have them in their own tank for breeding, and my display tank is mbuna males only, no females to fight over.

Maybe they chill out in numbers?

I raised up a heap of mouthfuls and kept them in a 4x2x2.

They were well behaved until the day I traded them for cuckoos.

Small mouthfuls but almost no deaths in raising fry.

XD

I have put these fish in with some pretty chill fish now I think about it.

whoops.

hmmmm.... I need to go check Ad (Malawi Cichlids 3rd )

"may be a secret member of the gigas species group....... males are territorial.... not sure on diet...."

ok ummm newer source.

Amazonas vol 1 issue 1

"rarer in trade, algal mat grazer, eat algae and meaty items........... OK with other fish but more boisterous..... as a rule however, these fish maintain a fixed order of rank, and hence any squabbles are infrequent and rather trivial."

Bought 40 sub-adults they killed their way down to 9. Of those 9 they regularly beat the living daylights out of each other. Their teeth take actual chunks. Only way I found to enable the 9 to survive was by cramming the tank with Americans and Venustus to spread out the aggression. They are breeding like this. In my experience truly horrible fish temprament wise. Strongly suspect they belong to another Genus and will be re-classified in due course.

Possibly. By far the most aggressive african I've ever kept. For a while I considered throwing them in with the Targets to teach them a lesson.. never did though as I know the targets would destroy them as soon as I turned my back. Probably sell the colony of 9 soon. They really peeve me off. Nice looking fish though..

i agree with all of you, they can be nasty little beasts. but i believe they are worth a chance, as i said given their own tank for breeding and one male in a all male/mbuna tank with plenty of volcanic rock and nature will decide. i appriciate all comments and take all on board

thanks lenny, jnr member snr citizen .

I find them not too bad in comparison to other mbuna

never had any biting issues , never had an aggression death in my colony .

Kept under the right conditions they are fine .

these guys on the other hand are a different story , they do have teeth and the do take chunks out of each other

but only around spawning time. But such a nice fish I put up with them .

Cynotilapia Zebroid Hai Reef Yellow Top .

post-4580-14711633000106_thumb.jpg