Sign in to follow this  
vsimo

Hi from Rockhampton

Hi, My name is Vic and i live in Rockhampton.

I have an insulated shed for a fish and hobby room with 12 freshwater planted tanks of various sizes. My main interests at the moment are gouramis, tetras, small american cichlids (Keyholes and Bolivian Rams). I also have some Africans, Electric Yellows, African Butterfly Cichlids and Kribensis which are left over from past must haves.

This past couple of weeks an outbreak of some kind of internal and external parasites is killing my Neons and Black Neons. I have tried Pimafix and Melafix treatments with no luck and am waiting on an order of Myxazin from Age of Aquariums to hit the blighters with.

I have been reading through the posts on this forum over the last few days and the information and camaderie is fantastic.

Vic

Hi Vic,

Do they get a white saddle on back?

A skin scrape and microscope is a good place to start if you think it's an external parasite.

Winston

Winston,

Hope i am replying in the right manner, not used to how it works yet.

The things on the Neons start out as breaks in the colour and progress to several white to light pink lumps on the body. The Black Neons have no external signs but start swimming erratically and lying on their sides. When they die a hole appears in the belly area as if something has bored out.

I do not own a microscope as I have never had problems like this with my fish in the past.

Welcome to the forum vic plenty of good fisho around rocky. let us know how you with the outbreak. might have some spare meds if needed

Thanks, Gotzy. Never seen this kind of outbreak before so don't know what I am dealing with. I have replied to Winston with the symptoms and any help is much appreciated.

Hi Vic, without a microscope to visually confirm, we are just guessing as it could be protozoan, bacterial, viral or fungal issues. Blindly medicating has its own set of issues.

Are you using a hospital tank? How many fish do you have left? Can you take some photos?

Erratic swimming before death often indicates chemical toxicity but this is unlikely to be species specific.

Winston

Edited by aquaholic99

Hi Vic, without a microscope to visually confirm, we are just guessing as it could be protozoan, bacterial, viral or fungal issues. Blindly medicating has its own set of issues.

Are you using a hospital tank? How many fish do you have left? Can you take some photos?

Erratic swimming before death often indicates chemical toxicity but this is unlikely to be species specific.

Winston

Winston,

I took some photos of the Neons and have tried reading up on how to upload them with no luck ( obviously a bit old and thick, me I mean) however in the photos it looks like a saddle on the back of the fish.

No point in taking photos of the black Neons, they have no symptoms, one will just start lying on its side and swimming erratically.

I am using a hospital tank as soon as I notice any sick fish.

The Corydoras in the tank are starting to act funny, swimming continuously which is unusual and going up into the plants instead of staying on the bottom.

The tank also has some Rummy Nose Tetras and a couple of Flying Fox Sharks in it and they are showing no affects.

Until recently I was treating the tank with Easy-Life Alg Exit for black beard algae. I was also treating a couple of other tanks with no problems.

If I can work out the process of uploading photos I will give it a go.

Thanks, Vic