Had tank set up 2 weeks seeded 1200lph canister from sponge filters also 600 lph internal filter water pretty good but very cloudy , have clarity water treatment but do not know wheather to use it or not ? Has white sand and plants. peter m

Could be many many things... So ill ask a few questions :)

Was sand thoroughly washed?

Was tap water used or existing tank water? If tap water was used was there chlorinator added before adding the tap water?

How long was the seeded filter left off for/ did the media get any oxygen in the time it was left off?

How long are lights being left on?

Are there any fish in the tank at the moment?

What is the current ammonia, nitrite and nitrate reading?

I think that pretty much covers all bases... I believe what has happened is for one reason or another the existing bacteria has died and you are now having a bacterial bloom... Pretty usual in new tanks and it will pass :)

Thanks Tristan, sand washed many times( at least 6 or 7)tap water and prime, filter left off about 2hrs no oxygen, lights onabout 10 hrs, 4mollies and 10 small corys, taking water to be tested to morrow, last saturday tested at A.O? E they said all good with a minute trace of amonia been treating with stability since saturday. Did remove fine filter matting to improve flow, tried clarity but if anything got worse hope I have answered everything

peter m

Thanks Tristan, sand washed many times( at least 6 or 7)tap water and prime, filter left off about 2hrs no oxygen, lights onabout 10 hrs, 4mollies and 10 small corys, taking water to be tested to morrow, last saturday tested at A.O? E they said all good with a minute trace of amonia been treating with stability since saturday. Did remove fine filter matting to improve flow, tried clarity but if anything got worse hope I have answered everything

peter m

Slight bit of ammonia suggests that the cycle is just starting... I presume they didnt find any nitrates? When you visit the store by a bottle of quick start my friend :)

Already got quick start should I add now ? If so how much 300 lit tank, yes no nitrate

Yup chuck it in there... How much u got? Isnt really such thing as too much haha, but will mention dosage on the packet... I dont have one handy right now to tell u the exact amount.

From here reduce feeding to every second day, and u will need to do at very least a weekly water change.

Once you get the results back from the lfs( and i think it will show a higher range of ammonia, and maybe a little bit of nitrites) then we will know the bacteria in the filter is buggared. Once that has been confirmed i would give the whole filter a good clean in aquarium water (never tap) to allow plenty of room for new nitrifying bacteria to be cultured in.

Had discus in tank for over week every thing seems fine all readings good, no amonia or nitrites fish seem good, eating like a pack of wolves, now feeding freeze dried black worms every 3rd day but will eat any thing, doing 25+%water changes 2 to 3 times a week, water now clear.Thanks for all advice guys. peter m.