My tank water is cloudy or milky - and my fish have no appetite.

I am running a canister filter with two stage filtration, and a small Ista canister with a sponge and a bag of macropore in it.

The other day my water was crystal clear.

Now it is milky and the Danios seem to be working hard to force water through their gills.

The Gouramies, on the other hand, seem to be quite OK and their usual cool, relaxed selves.

Any ideas on what is happening ??

Do a massive water change immediately. Gouramis can breath o2 out of the atmosphere - other fish can't. Do the water change, triple dose on nuetraliser that does ammonia and chlorine! You can work out what went wrong later - right now do the water change!

Did the water change. Blitzed the refill with Biotec water conditioner and Easy Life conditioner. Added plenty of Stability; after I pulled out the canister filter and replaced with an emergency spare internal Eheim I always keep in the cupboard along with other used first buy filters, etc, etc. Amazing how much aquarium hardware one quickly accumulates.

Took sample of water into Gawler Aquariums. Test results: ammonia bright green <8ppm - nitrites pale blue and safe. Definite ammonia spike. No wonder my fishies were gasping for air.

The canister was choked and full of foul smelling green matter with slime. Stinks like sulphur.

The power point for the aquarium filters was turned off accidentally Monday night and not discovered and turned back on until Tuesday morning. :mad2:

Went to Gawler Aquariums and bought some Prime, and Aqua One ammonia removing pad. Will cut up to shape with Stanley Knife to fit bottom canister cradle; and I bought some bio-balls to improve the bio filtration. The upper cradle is half-full with those ceramic macaroni.

You know I am just so upset with all of this. You try your hardest and one little mistake/ accident can ruin all the work and money that one has spent on an aquarium and its inhabitants. :hurt:

So I did what any other fish hobbyist would do in order to cheer oneself up and to take away the pain - I bought a brand new tank and cabinet package deal from Trevor & Wendy.

Only $385 - a bargain Aqua One Aquastyle 620 (90L) with built in filtration and lighting, and an Ikea some assembling required cabinet. All in a lovely white metallic finish.

Yes, I do feel better now. And I'm smiling as I put this all together. :hug:

Edited by Waggles

after I pulled out the canister filter and replaced with an emergency spare internal Eheim I always keep in the cupboard

Hi glad you were able to sort it out and found where the problem came though. I am concerned though - am I reading it right that you removed your old filter completely and fitted a new one? I would clean the old filter and still use it. I know a lot of the bacteria would have died but it's going to have more bio-load than a new un-primed filter. Why not run both if the flow rate is not ridiculous. Go very easy on the feedings for the next 10 days and do water changes whilst the tank re-cycles. We all have the odd hickup no matter how long you've been keeping fish. Good luck :-)

I will bring back my canister filter. Must cut out to shape some Aqua One ammonia removing filter pad to line the bottom of the canister filter. Plus I bought some bio-balls to add in with this lower cradle. The upper container (or cradle) will still have the ceramic macaroni that is sitting in a plastic bucket of water.

Once I have the new improved canister filter running then with prayer all will come good.

I will leave the Eheim in for a week or two (and I am still running the double sponge filter as well). :drama:

If it were me id be re-seeding the filter with some filter media from an established tank, the more the better, someone you may know who has a sump or your local fish shop may run a sump system, if you can get hold of some dirty Dacron out of it and put that into your filter it will greatly help re-cycling the tank, as mentioned go easy on feeding....

Spent last night reassembling the canister filter. Cut out to shape the ammonia removing fibre pad (impregnated with zeolite) and placed in bottom of canister cradle and topped up with bio-balls. Must get some more. Why did I choose to love an expensive hobby??? This is costing more than kitty litter and Whiskas.

Aquarium now has canister filter flowing most excellently [rated at 800lph] Have placed outlet up high balanced on large clothes peg for the water flow to ripple the water surface.

The Eheim 2008 is aerating and again have placed higher so that it is skimming the surface.

Water is still slightly opaque/milky. But a big big improvement on yesterday.

Sat down and watched my tank community closely. Gills look OK. No casualties. No signs of redness and inflammation. All fishies just cruising around looking cool, as they do.

Cories and bristlenoses are back down on the bottom scavenging. The male Dwarf Gourami is chasing his female for love.

Will do another water change Saturday morning and top up again with Stability and Prime.

Thanks for the good and helpful advice. The water change yesterday helped to save the day. :hug:

Have two tanks so borrowed some sponge material from the other - thanx for reminding me.