Sign in to follow this  

Hi everyone,

I have a 30 cm saratoga lei that is periodically shaking its head or jerking its head every 20-30 minutes. It currently lives with 6 aussie bass (6cm) and an eel tail catfish (12cm). The togas tank mates aren't shaking their but are flashing and there's no sign of fungus. The tank has a thin layer of gravel and a big piece of driftwood and some large red rocks and no plants. My water params and routine are as follows:

Ph: 7-7.2

Ammonia:- 0 (API drops)

Nitrite:- 0 (API drops)

Nitrate:- 10-20 ppm (API drops)

Gh:- 90 ppm (5 drops of API test)

Kh:-54 ppm (3 drops of API test)

Size of tank:- 5x1.5x1.5 ft

Temperature °C:- currently at 28

Been running for:- 5-6 months

Filtration:-Canister/Sump/Internal Filter/Sponge:- 2 AquaClear 300 (70) (hang on)

Feeding:- What food and How often: fed hikari food sticks and koi pellets twice a day and peeled prawns every few days. No live food

Recent Medication Treatments: No meds. Did add some macropore in the filters a few days ago to get rid of the tannins leeching from the driftwood

Last water change:- 5 days ago 50%

Water change every Day/Weekly/Monthly - every week 50% using Prime as my water conditioner.

Hope that's enough information.

I personally think it could be gill flukes as I haven't treated them for it. Had the saratoga for a bit over a month and the other fish for 2 months. Prior to that, had goldfish in that tank. Just want to make sure before dumping random meds into the tank :cool:

Either whitespot or gill flukes. Aquaculture Bass and Perch are often riddled with flukes. I'd treat for white spot first then if no improvement proceed to fluke treatment with water change in between. Best white spot treatment for these natives is 99% formalin / 1 % malachite green (if you can find it). For flukes Para-EX. Watch the Saratoga when using Para- Ex - some react badly to the drug.

Thanks for the quick replies!

I've got some rapid spot remedy that's mainly formaldehyde and malachite green or I can do a salt treatment for fungus which I'm comfortable doing.

For the possible flukes I've got praziquantel. Would that be ok to use with these fish? I've also got some Flubendazole based worm fluke treatment as well if that's not ok.

Salt isn't just for fungus - salt helps with virtually all diseases in native fish. Definately use salt. The white spot treatment will be fine.

The ingredient in Pare Ex / Paracide works far better on natives - and far quicker - than Prazi - although it is hard to get sometimes.

Thanks for the info.

I'll go hunting for this Para Ex... better to have lots of meds than no meds...

In the meantime, I'll do a water change and clean the tank then add some salt.

Sign in to follow this