N4stypers0n

Tropheus KH and GH

Hi all I'm new to this forum but was hoping to ask a question. I'm about to purchase a colony of F1 Tropheus Ilangi and I've been advised that my gh and kh should be over 200 ppm this seems high compared to other things I have read. My tap water is ph 8 and kh 80 ppm and gh 150ppm. What is everyone else keeping their levels at? I was hoping not to use buffers just to keep things simple and stable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note I was also hoping to chuck some l numbers in with them any idea on what ones meet the same food and water parameters. Thanks again in advance

a66dd1d448796f7a25b3844a7797d803.jpg

G'day, and welcome to the forum. I keep my Tropheus with a PH of 8.5, GH of 8 and KH of 15. Unsure how this converts to ppm. These are the levels from the API test kit. I got this info from a Tropheus breeder in Sydney.

L numbers have completely different water parameters and would struggle in these conditions. Synodontis Perticolas are bottom feeders that are better suited.

Hope this helps and enjoy.

I've had success with the following parameters

- GH at about 150-170ppm and

- KH around 200ppm

KH or GH readings in parts per million (ppm) can be converted to degrees by dividing them by 17.86. For example, if your KH tests as 200 ppm, this means your KH is 11.2 degrees

Hope this is some help

Cheers :beer: