I did some reading on google and it appears that it can be done, but is not advisable.

A few questions.

What ph do you currently have and what do you want to drop it down to ?

Are there fish currently in the tank ?

What size tank is it ?

I've heard of hydrochloric acid being used as well.

My only concern is that such acids don't remove the dissolved minerals and solids from the water, which is a lot of the problem for soft/acidic water fish.

what do you think ph down is ? 7 percent hydro acid. don't belive me ? read the bottle or spill some on our hands. burns like hell

Edited by brodie7744

The easiest way to lower ph is with a strong acid such as hydrochloric acid or sulphuric acid, but they also carry the highest risk of overshooting and getting the pH down wayyyy more than you wanted.

Vinegar is a weak acid, it will work to bring your ph down but there are two drawbacks to vinegar: it may take quite a bit to get the ph where you want it to be (depending on the water you start with) and it introduces organic carbon which will add to the overall bio load of the tank.

pH Down contains sodium bisulphate, a salt of sulphuric acid that itself is still fairly acidic, but safer to handle than sulphuric acid itself.

I find hydrochloric acid the most effective and easiest to use. The stuff you get from the hardware stores works fine, it is just a bit too concentrated for easy and safe use. If you (carefully!) prepare a stock solution by mixing one part of the acid into 1-2 parts of water you'll get a version that is easier to dose and safer to use.