Hi all,

I am looking at buying a bigger tank. 6x1.5x1.5 5mm thick glass. Do you think the glass is thick enough for the dimensions and if a turtle flicks a rock at it when digging around (it has been fine for a smaller tank with 5mm glass)? It holds water but my brother suggested that I should reseal it as a precaution when I get it, is there a chance it would dry out the previous silicon and cause and issue? It has cross supports that are 20cm wide will this cause a bit much of a obstruction for the light?

A fish tank of that depth should be at least 6 mm (thicker is better) but if you are only half filling as a turtle tank, you can get away with 5mm. However as you are finding, 5mm is not as robust and has less area for silicon to grip.

Silicon won't bond with dry silicon so if you are re - sealing, you should remove existing silicon and clean glass super clean. You should be using 2 cross braces on a 6 foot.

Also possible to add an internal glass strip along each seam (like a patch) if your too lazy to strip tank apart and don't mind the appearance.

No way would I get 5mm, I would feel more comfortable with at least 10mm

Exactly! 48 x 18 x 18 SHOULD be made out of 8mm glass. Seen them made out of 6mm but reputable manufacturers use 8mm. 6 foot x 18 x 18 should be 10mm base and 8mm sides. Good quality Chinese tanks are now 10mm base and 8mm sides of even 48 x 15 x 18 which is overkill but hey - I'd rather over than under and 5mm is ridiculous!