I dont mind balloon fish.

They are, kept correctly, among the most spoilt of all fish.

And rightly so.

Anyone who cant appreciate an awesome stocky panda oranda or a blood red parrot......

well they are missing out on a part of the hobby, that is the favourite part of the hobby to other people.

You dont have to hate the parts of the hobby you currently have no interest in.

Just enjoy the parts you do enjoy.

Its like taking peoples tv remotes and choosing what they get to watch.

lol

out of my cold dead fingers bud XD

t8.jpg

Sometimes extreme temp does it, or a cross (eg devil X Vieja synspilum)

Depends on the species. Livebearers its often a random mutation.

The sick ones can be disease or malnutrition.

I remember years ago in NSW looking at a tank of balloon rams, and the owner of the store coming and talking to me. He asked what I thought and I said not a fan, or words to that extent.

He then seemed to imply if I knew how they were created I would like them less. I can't figure it as they seem to breed true, and I cannot see anything that could be crossed.

Is it a deformed fish if that's exactly how the breeder intended???

I've been culling all my two headed turtles. I get some semi regularly. Doesn't seem right to keep them. I've grown one or two up just out of curiosity though.

Is it a deformed fish if that's exactly how the breeder intended???

I've been culling all my two headed turtles. I get some semi regularly. Doesn't seem right to keep them. I've grown one or two up just out of curiosity though.

Get ready for all the pm's that are about to come your way aquaholic99

Had my 6 year old daughter with me in the local shop. She saw the balloon Mollies and immediately wanted them (the cute factor). Was hard to convince her, but she settled for some black lyre tails instead. I think its a battle between the 'Unique' look of the fish that catches the eye and therefore makes them desirable (to some). Me on the other hand, I believe that deformities are and should only be controlled by nature...

Does anyone know how balloon type fish are originally bred?

It seems to be a simple genetic mutation, not the result of environmental factors or anything else. One of my Pseudotropheus demasoni girls occasionally pops out a random short body fry, but they struggle to compete with the normal fry and never last past 3cm or so. I've never bothered to separate them to grow them up - I am not convinced that the market needs a line of "balloon demasoni."

Wonder how many of the folks objecting to line breeding own "purebred" dogs?

I'm all for phenotypic variation, but deformity that results in functional issues and leads to pain and suffering shouldn't be continued. Welfare of offspring and parents should be considered a priority for any animal that is being bred.

If you want to talk dogs and cats..... the recent rise of "munchkin" cats is an example of a breeding disaster... and sadly its becoming popular. At least a lot of registered dog breeders are recognising their mistakes now and are looking to correct the more severe deformites and improve function and welfare. Thanks to this documentary https://myspace.com/bordercollie19/video/documentary-bbc-pedigree-dogs-exposed/44215931 increased concern from the public forced quite a few changes for crofts and thus breeders (who were interested in winning shows and making money).

The biggest disasters at the moment are unregistered people that are backyard breeding "designer" cross bred dogs without health checking the parents (and I don't mean having a look and going, "yeah, seems healthy" - I mean genetic testing, hip and elbow scoring where relevant etc) because they assume crossbred = healthy.... only that doesn't work if both parents are purebred with genetic issues!! Vet clinics see a LOT of pups from these litters that have inherited the worst combinations from both parents.

Edited by Sacrilicious

That dog's colour isn't blended evenly.. Kill it. .. holy crap, look at its feet.

I'm a big believer in natural selection.. can the short bodied forms swim as fast/faster than the normal ones? Some of them look quite awkward bobbing around in the petshop tank.. I would imagine the slower one (whichever it happens to be) would be eaten first.. maybe chuck the fry in with a snappy-sharptooth for a day to make sure the gimpy ones are eaten, and that they have learned how to hide if/when necessary! :D

I'm not keen on the appearance of the ballooned fish, but I accept that some would find them cute/interesting. A smaller version anything is usually cuter than the full-sized version of the same thing.. and many people are drawn to cuteness.

Iono, I haven't seen any long finned peps, so it would have to be a genetic mutation or line bred with super culls.. and I would be all over that like a fat kid on cake. I guess it just depends on what boat you're floating in at the time.

I never found jelly bean parrots to have any trouble competing in mixed cichlid tanks.

Higher grade ones anyway.

If they cant fight and feed........ they shouldnt be raised past 4cm.

LFS thrive on cute impulse buys.

Baby oscars? check

puffer fish? check

nemos? check

pink fighter setup? check

Heck I like me some cories....... and if you didnt know any better......... they really could come accross as some crazy hybrid monstrosity. I mean look at the blocky things, they can barely swim!

Interesting topic.

I've seen all of the above balloon variants along with dyed and tatooed widows, phantom glass catfish and most notably parrot fish.

But the weirdest thing i've ever seen would have to be arrow tailed angel fish. :\

Incredibly I have been told these fish are a line bred and not "snipped" at birth.

post-12657-14711633019212_thumb.jpg

But the weirdest thing i've ever seen would have to be arrow tailed angel fish. :\

Incredibly I have been told these fish are a line bred and not "snipped" at birth.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60324[/ATTACH]

my favourite flame war on fish forums is all about these fish and claims they are genetic and not surgical.

Currently rages over at least a dozen forums XD

my favourite flame war on fish forums is all about these fish and claims they are genetic and not surgical.

Currently rages over at least a dozen forums XD

Indeed I was hoping not to start another war here..

But I think it falls into this category of WTF fish xD

Indeed I was hoping not to start another war here..

But I think it falls into this category of WTF fish xD

Oh I dont participate, I quite enjoy being part of the bystander effect in that one.

I have had fish bitten in half survive and look the same.......

Infact that picture I posted earlier had one in it, red/grey one in the bottom left corner XD

Considering even with that cripple and the parrots and hybrid peacocks........ they really dont look so bad when compared to the ellioti lol

Doesnt matter if its pure or hybrid IF the bloodline is broken.

t8.jpg

I suppose the Industry is "Ornamental fish".....

I'd suggest many who buy fish couldn't tell you their scientific names let alone whether they were a morph or not

Personally....not my cup of tea....even Goldfish, I have only owned comets/shubunkins

Arrow Angelfish.....or any fish that has had it's tail amputated so body creates a "heart shape"....that's just sick

Surprisingly!!!... some very experienced aquarists claimed that it's a genetic mutation....

I've asked on dozens of forums for photos of any any species....parents with fry....showing this mutation

and I haven't had one response....It's not genetic, its mutilation

Amazing what some will do to create something different to make a buck!!

and How some are prepared to argue Black is White to back up a friend

Does anyone know how balloon type fish are originally bred?

Genetic mutation. A parent fish generally (but not always) has a slight body shape irregularity. Some broods can be relatively normal - others can be majority deformed. There is a large niche market that specifically wants these fish. Doing some research at the moment for my own scientific interest to test the theories as to what length 1st generation 'balloons' attain; lifespan; reproduction results etc.,

I can see no evidence of health side effects in F1 fish based on my own observations at this point. In the past on the rare occasion I have seen oddballs I have culled them. Recently had a batch of convicts come out not only balloon but also 'veiltail'. Have also seen it in a popular african. Will be doing research on these from a scientific standpoint - not for sale.

As 'pets' that are loved by their owners I see no issues so long as the animal is not suffering. This is a hard issue to ascertain.

As the Don mentioned in another topic - a well thought out ethics debate would do the industry no harm..

Ah.... if you are not going to sell the balloon veiltail convicts.... would you instead maybe swap me some for some money?

I actually consider convicts as excellent candidates for linebred domestication as pets.

Actually a bit let down that I didnt get a chance to combine the mini and the pied convict bloodlines.

I have 2 female 'jelly bean' convicts that I'm trying to breed. They are on there 4th batch and yet to see any 'jelly bean' fry. Have been told to add heater in when the eggs are laid in hopes they form the jelly bean shape. Any tips wouldn't go astray

I will leave this alone !

After beginning to selectively breed a Rhadinocentrus morph , and the hostility I received My $00.02 is little better than flame bait - walking away from topic , biting tongue NOW!

I have 2 female 'jelly bean' convicts that I'm trying to breed. They are on there 4th batch and yet to see any 'jelly bean' fry. Have been told to add heater in when the eggs are laid in hopes they form the jelly bean shape. Any tips wouldn't go astray

My tip would be to disregard the advice you are being given from whomever told you that..... (!)