ash

Ideal fish for breeding feeders?

Just after some suggestions as to what fish you think would be suitable for breeding to keep a somewhat steady supply of feeders available...

must be easy to breed and produce a large number of preferably quick growing fry, and be able to be housed in a 2-3ft tank rack system...

or would breeding freshwater crayfish/yabbys be a better option?

the consumer will be a single mangrove jack 8)

I believe I have read on QLDAF that growing fish to feed to other fish may be a form of animal cruelty and not looked upon favourably by the RSPCA. Just going off memory.

You might try using the search function to see if there are any older threads about this topic.

I believe I have read on QLDAF that growing fish to feed to other fish may be a form of animal cruelty and not looked upon favourably by the RSPCA. Just going off memory.

You might try using the search function to see if there are any older threads about this topic.

I might be new here but this confuses the hell out of me, I mean how dare you have some fish to feed to a bigger fish. It's not like he eats them in the wild does he???

Isn't the idea to make their life as natural as possible? Wouldn't that include feeding them live fish from where they are found in nature? Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't you be looking into a type of fish that a mangrove jack would eat in the wild? Not sure what fish that would be, or if it is even possible though so shot me down in flames if I'm wrong.

Yeah did rats when we had snakes, they stink too much mrs dun like em much either.

MJ is a predatory fish and deserves to be treated as one, however sad the fate of the feeder fish is, he won't know what hit him. I could use a cast net to gather poddy mullet, small whiting etc as they are hardier then herring or silver biddys and would survive being netted, transported and kept in a tank but would be against the law due to being undersized. Breeding and raising my own is much more feasible and the way I will do it. Thanks for the input so far :)

Just gonna set up two or three tanks plumbed together for breeding feeders, won't be feeding live food all the time just as a treat between frozen whitebait and squid etc so don't need a massive supply just a continuous steady supply. Thanks for the offer tho ado.

Ah can get breeding size tilapia here for 10-20$ each apart for hornets.

TBH any big american pair could most likely work if you got them to breed once a month and just raised the majority of the fry I think your MJ would have more then enough food.