rennie_08

Festae tank size

Hi all, I currently have a 3x2x2 that is temporary housing for my male and female festae. Would my 6x2x2 be big enough for the female 16cms and the male 23cms ?

i am also looking to put some sort of other fish as it is a display tank in the loungeroom.. They are a breeding pair so would they eat a school of silver dollars or tinfoil barbs?

chris

Honestly - as they are a breeding pair they are best kept alone. You may get away with the Tinfoils when they are not breeding but when they are - they'll get smashed. Tinfoils are fast - but they jump and the aggression from the Cichlids and the glass injuries isn't going to be good.

beautiful fish but the survival mechanism that kicks in with a breeding pair is bad news for anyone in the vicinity(generally!!) with your big americans..id just have a happy pr of beautiful festae in there and id go a nice biotype style(just me :eyebrows:)...plus it guarantees them more room to cruise around in the tank...less bio load on your filtration and you can watch these beautiful fish more in how they interact etc....plus you might have to keep an eye on them and how they are with each other over time....daddy or even mummy can get feisty and not want the other half around :eyebrows: good luck and hope you have a very happy pair...I reckon festae are beautiful fish mate any pics??