ageofaquariums

Deal of the Day - Bio Chemical Sponge Filters ( XY-380 ) upto 480l 1/2 price $3.50 !!

just wondering are these mechanical and bio filters ? not just bio like some on the market .are these the standard filters (as in the ones that have been made for years and worked well for years ) i just want to make certain so i don't get caught out buying a sponge filter that wont meet my needs and expectations and help greatly appreciated.

Here you go.

Shop Address

The Age of Aquariums

Unit 2

10-12 Webber Drive

Browns Plains Qld 4118

Trading Hours

Monday 9AM - 5:30PM

Tuesday 9AM - 5:30PM

Wednesday 9AM - 5:30PM

Thursday 9AM - 5:30PM

Friday 9AM - 5:30PM

Saturday 9AM - 5:00PM

Sunday 9AM - 4:00PM

just wondering are these mechanical and bio filters ? not just bio like some on the market .are these the standard filters (as in the ones that have been made for years and worked well for years ) i just want to make certain so i don't get caught out buying a sponge filter that wont meet my needs and expectations and help greatly appreciated.

Lionel, these do quite a bit of mechanical filtration but they are a sponge. I'm always amazed how much sludge comes out. I buy these by the case and clean with a wash machine. Good price!

Hi Lionel.

Same sponge filters we have sold since starting the business 15 years ago. They have always been called bio - chemical sponge filters.

Hi Lionel.

Same sponge filters we have sold since starting the business 15 years ago. They have always been called bio - chemical sponge filters.

order in mate just had to make sure these where actual filters i have heard of similar looking items that don't do any mechanical what so ever

hey aquaholic99 can u pls explain how you use machine to waush these?.....I thought I'd have to just roll the crap out of them and rinse them over and over to clean them?...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I thought I'd wait till the deal was over before commenting.

The idea of reverse flow to back flush filters is nothing new so one of my earlier versions was drop saw multiple slots along a PVC pipe, hooked up to a swim pool pump. Slide the dirty filters onto pipe and blast clean. Results weren't great so next modification was to just blast water through a small section and slide the dirty sponges along slowly. Better results but still not satisfactory. To thoroughly clean by reverse flow, I suspect I'd need to run (in reverse) for at least a week.

So now I use a top loader wash machine. It's the spin cycle that does the work. I keep about 150 sponges spare/pre cleaned and just swap them out with dirty ones (just to save time). Then I can take my time cleaning the dirty sponges. The trick is to clean routinely, don't wait till they are clogged. Once clean, I throw them into a spare tank for a week. The airlift goes right to the bottom of the sponge so it will suck from the bottom first, working it's way up as the sponge gets filled.

I clean about a quarter of my tanks on a weekly cycle. In theory each sponge gets done once a month. Although I have central filters, it's the sponges I consider to be my main filter as air is pumps are the cheapest to run what will keep my fish alive and most economical to backup. It's the air/sponges that will keep my fish alive when the power goes out. (I have automated back up systems on my air).