Lyndee

beginner with question about filter media

Hi everyone thanks so much for letting me join this forum.

I have a 4 foot tank with one hugh gold fish,2 loaches,2 brittleness, & about 30 guppies, that keep breeding. I have an eheim canister professional 3e 350, type 2074 & a serenity internal 1000 filter.The canister filter came with all the media, but I would like to know if I can put seachem matrix in one of the trays & if so which tray would I swap the media with the matrix.It goes in this order I think - 1 eheim mech pro

2 eheim biomech

3 eheim substat pro & white fleece pad

4 prefilter with the blue filter mat

cheers

Lyndee

have not tried "biomech" as my filter (2080 and 2180) have the standard issue substrat pro and mech (noodles type). I have recently swapped all my noodles with marinepure spheres and the big block (had to cut this as didn't fit the tray).

If you plan to change, keep the substrat pro and consider the marinepure media. You can also add purigen or macropore if you want to play with it. i have a few bags of purigen/macropore as well on mine.

Wow you slipped thru the gaps amigo, and then............. post avalanche.

Its a good filter combination.

The 2074 is excellent bio, and the serenity 1000 is good mechanical.

For the 2074,

You have,

st-Pro3E-2074.jpg

Eheim mech pro is a funny one, I'd be tempted to remove that and replace with matrix.

Its not ideal as you generally want bio after mech, plus the fact matrix will slow the flow of the canister compared to the mech pro.

While the eheim substat pro is very similar to matrix, and will also slow filter flow..... I would keep it in there.

That leaves only the biomech and yea I'd replace the eheim biomech with matrix.

Thinking outside the box, you could replace the bottom sponge in the serenity with some matrix. I wouldnt as I think you need all the mech you can get personally.

Yea I just reccomended removing the biomech, considered doing so on the mech pro....... but theres much better mech filtration out there than them.

How are you finding the serrenity as far as time between cleans?

Lots of mechanical waste from a big goldy tho.

Not quite a canisters forte XD

I have found wave makers to be a good combo with canisters.

They may not be able to remove debris themselve, but they keep it suspended for canister to grab.

Properly positioned they can also ripple/aerate almost the entire aquarium surface, and that provides ideal conditions for fish and microbes in canister.

well the only reason I want a look @ putting matrix in the canister was cos I was told it would be better media, but maybe I should just leave it be eh.My serenty internal filter only gets cleaned every 2nd week cos only gets bit dirty on top sponge.Thanks for all the info guys 8)

well the only reason I want a look @ putting matrix in the canister was cos I was told it would be better media, but maybe I should just leave it be eh.My serenty internal filter only gets cleaned every 2nd week cos only gets bit dirty on top sponge.Thanks for all the info guys 8)

yea simple is best.

I have a trick with those filters to get longer between cleans. Just a bit of plastic mesh cut and folded over on top of the top sponge. Think I used gutter guard.

It just stops it sucking up into filter intake, and results in waste being spread more evenly through the filters sponge.

You want enough mesh to to keep sponge out, but not so much it lets crap bypass sponge and go into impellor.