stefan.jsp

Tips and tricks

Im sure a few people on here have stumbled upon a few magic tricks...not topic specific......what little tricks have you come across?

I have one. Newspaper is probably one of the best glass cleaning cloths of all time. takes a bit of elbow grease but brings it up clean as.(learnt it from the old man)

Also that you can create a syphon very easily with the garden hose by turning it on clearing the air and then disconnecting! makes a 250l water change very easy!

I went through a stage of using aquarium glass cleaner, and it may as well be water for all the good it does. To add to your trick above, spray the glass with water first and use two pieces of newspaper one to scrub the wet glass and one to dry the glass. This cuts out most the need for elbow grease.

Ok here is a no-brainer that some people overlook.

Med's are expensive, If you don't have a QT tank and/or it's pointless as a disease outbreak is in the tank not just the single fish, reduce cost by lowering the amount of water in the tank. (keep your nitrates in mind however).

Label all of your cords with a label maker.

Clean new gravel with just a hose in the bottom of a bucket and the sand placed on top... Let run until the water runs clear... May need to give the sand a stir every now and then to make sure its all clean.

Wherever possible do things that dont make keeping fish a chore... If it is too much work for you maybe it is time to downsize so you can enjoy the hobby again.

Research, research, research before purchasing anything! And when you do Shop at sponsors for a good deal ;)

Ps a 1/4 metho 3/4 water will negate the need for that elbow grease

I wanted to say methylated spirits, but did not know what you called it here, in nz we call it meths...sponsors is a big one they provide this forum with so much depth and good deals.

+1 for cleaning the gravel

I found cleaning in smaller batches provided results faster than cleaning large amounts with new substrate.

If you are setting up a canister that has taps inline, like for example eheim classics with their double taps....... its a good idea to have one tap up one way, and the other the other way.

That way when you goto reconnect the taps after cleaning canister, they can only connect the right way!

KISS is the best theme to base your tech on (keep it simple stupid!)

Might not have explained that very well.

More expensive gear doesnt mean better gear.

You dont have to put big fish in big tanks

To work out the max fill line for your sump, fill your tank up until it is just under where your inlet holes are. Next fill your sump up until it is full. Now turn on your pump and draw a line where the water level in your sump is. This way u know if the power goes out the sump wont over fill.

Dont always trust buyers/sellers online! (Mainly facebook :P)

If you are setting up a canister that has taps inline, like for example eheim classics with their double taps....... its a good idea to have one tap up one way, and the other the other way.

That way when you goto reconnect the taps after cleaning canister, they can only connect the right way!

KISS is the best theme to base your tech on (keep it simple stupid!)

Might not have explained that very well.

I put my FX6 in reverse a couple weeks back, fish were not happy....

This is my favourite type of forum thread.

You could argue its the point of a fish forum, aside from the trader.

I had a brainstorm one weekend on this very topic. It was a while ago so theres plenty I would change today. In theory tho the good outweighs the bad.

ISSUU - Dead Fish Scrolls

tldr warning too

adding on here,

Filters that will need frequent cleaning, need to be easy to clean. This is mainly your prefilters, mechanical filtration and chemical filtration.

You dont want to have to do something annoying over and over.

If you can understand how a piece of aquarium tech works, you can learn to spot which models are not going to be good at their job.

EG a main filter should include some form of biological filtration media. A powerhead should have good sponge. An airpump for an aircurtain needs to be more powerful the deeper the water.

Edited by Donny@ageofaquariums

This is my favourite type of forum thread.

You could argue its the point of a fish forum, aside from the trader.

Exactly, the trader is all well and good, and so is helping out beginners...but sharing/learning tricks and following along with a breeding journal or ten is what excites me.....oh and more pictures :behindsofa:

I 100% agree with Donny . We should have a tip of the day thread , mods ?.

Forum needs more positive stuff to encourage the newbies.

Heres my tip of the day ,

When growing micro worms for fry , my mix is oats water , pinch of yeast .

I also add a half teaspoon of organic spirulina powder , it is said to infuse the micro worms

making them fry super food . I also hatch brine shrimp another fry super food .

Cheers Mark .

,post-4580-14711633011485_thumb.jpg

Heres my tip of the day ,

When growing micro worms for fry , my mix is oats water , pinch of yeast .

I also add a half teaspoon of organic spirulina powder , it is said to infuse the micro worms

making them fry super food . I also hatch brine shrimp another fry super food .

Cheers Mark .

,[ATTACH=CONFIG]60268[/ATTACH]

Tip ver 1.1 When raising microwaves like this, use a thin pencil brush to harvest. Wipe down container side to collect worms, rinse off in fry tank to feed.

You can use damp paddle pop sticks left in the culture too but these get very messy.

Does it make a difference? I'd like to start raising live food,

If you can find the book Culturing Live Foods by Hellweg its a treasure of info.

Love it.

As to whether it makes a difference, it certainly enriches the fishes life, so theres that.

Its also a great way to get the girls gravid and the boys dancing.

The big thing for me is making protein from plant matter, that can be used to bulk out diets and thus rely less on fish meal.

And many live foods are a great way to do that.