peter.

Sand for shrimp

Whats your thoughts?

Im looking at purchasing some bunnings play sand for one of my black cherry shrimp tank ,just want a different substrate for a diffrent look

Whats your thought?

Have you done it ?

Picis would be great

THANKS

Haven't used play sand in my shrimp tanks but I have used a really fine substrate like sand called salt and pepper. Just like a little Quartz like grain of black and white. They seem to really enjoy it. Still get nice deep reds out of them so don't see why sand wouldn't work...?

5FCB6DD2-808B-4696-9270-9556B77718A3_zpsevy4c1q2.jpg

346C32A5-8588-4BD1-9F23-71DE6AEF6A67_zpsn8bkyz6b.jpg

Edited by Sparky19862

I use the ultra white fine sand ...

Looks great with my Dark chocolate cherry shrimp.

If your coming down or on the Gold coast your welcome to come and see more 10 fully plant display tanks

... I supply the sand at a dollar per kg

post-11265-1471163301181_thumb.jpg

I have used pool filter sand for them. It's more a golden colour that looks like a natural river.

But hands down the best substrate for black cherries is matrix. The shrimp look great with it and it turns the bottom of the tank into filtration.

Cheers mick

DSC_0070_zpsk374ga8y.jpg

I have used pool filter sand for them. It's more a golden colour that looks like a natural river.

But hands down the best substrate for black cherries is matrix. The shrimp look great with it and it turns the bottom of the tank into filtration.

Cheers mick

DSC_0070_zpsk374ga8y.jpg

I tried pool filter sand from bunnings I think it was, really Orange brown type substrate. Worked well but didn't help the red cherrys at all with their color!! Keen to get some blacks one day! Yours look awesome mate!