Discus_Duck

Artemia project - should be a little fun

Okay, I know this is probably already somewhere on the forum but have had a bit of a search and can't find anything recent.

Having bought all the fishies my tank and my pocket can handle and being a few months off starting out hobby breeding I'm on the hunt for a fun little side project and have decided to breed artemia (brine shrimp) as discus snacks.

I've been reading up on how and will start with the classic inverted half bottle, air stone and salt to hatch eggs. Am then thinking of decanting to a little 20-30 litre tank to grow out and breed. Would also love to do something a little different but not expensive.

Would love to see what's working for those already happily growing some tasty little furry friends.:pop2:

mate I just use 3 x Mt Franklin 1.5 litre bottles (standing up normally) with lid off and no modification to them at all. Fill em 3/4 with salt water (ocean preferably or make it up). Aerate the crap out of each bottle with airline and stone. I have a desk lamp aimed over the bottles for heat. Invest in good quality eggs. mine hatch within 12 hrs but better if left 24. I can use each bottle 3 times before having to change salt water. 1 level teaspoon of eggs in each bottle. - good luck.

Poor quality video.

I hatch bbs to feed my baby bettas. The waste water I tip in to ice-cream tubs outside, algae grows in the tubs and the brine shrimp grow.

th_DSCN1635_zpsnuolgvcu.mp4