Thanks to help from members of the forum I believe the problem i have is Neon Tetra disease.

I will euthanise all the obviously infected fish still alive and intend to move the uninfected fish to another tank and treat with Methylene Blue as a preventative.

My main concern is how to treat the tank they were in. I was thinking of stripping down the tank, washing the plants in bleach, washing the gravel and sun drying it, throwing away the driftwood and washing the tank and filters with a salt solution. Then treating the tank as a new set up and cycling then adding different fish to it (maybe Bolivian Rams and Keyholes or Gouramis).

I have never had a serious fish killing outbreak before and am probably paranoid about the problem.

Has anyone got any other tips for cleaning up the problem?

thanks, Vic

Thanks to help from members of the forum I believe the problem i have is Neon Tetra disease.

I will euthanise all the obviously infected fish still alive and intend to move the uninfected fish to another tank and treat with Methylene Blue as a preventative.

I was thinking of stripping down the tank, washing the plants in bleach, washing the gravel and sun drying it, throwing away the driftwood and washing the tank and filters with a salt solution. Then treating the tank as a new set up and cycling then adding different fish

M.Blue as a preventative for what? It certainly wont prevent against NTD. If you want to sterilize the tank then add bleach to the tank while it is running for a week or so. Drain and flush many times. Take out the gravel then hose it thoroughly. Wipe down all sides of the tank to remove residue. Clean filters thoroughly. If they are basic sponge filters throw them out and get new ones. Don't re-use live plants. I don't know what other fish you have. They may be carrying the disease so sterilizing your tank; re-cycling then adding new fish with fish that were out of the diseased tank may very well be a fruitless exercise. NTD is fairly easy to diagnose but there are many mis-diagnoses - have you taken steps to verify which disease infected your tank.

Edited by none