danceswithdingoes

Sterbae Cory Social Order

Hi, I have a colony of 10 adult sterbae cories in a stock 4fter but Ive noticed since the spawning has started two males are living in bristlenose caves and today one was removed from a shrimp tube and was a little worse for wear. My question is, do cories have a social order with dom and sub dom males like cichlids? I thought these folks were social and would all get along. Should I rehome the hiding males? tia for any help/advice.

Strange one.

The more the merrier is usually the name of the game with cory.

Conspecific aggression is not unknown in cories tho.

Some close relatives like hoplos beat the crap out of each other.

But its usually another bottom dweller that beats them up...... any bristlenose in there?

Cardinals and embers are like the least likely to turn fin nipper too. Very chill.

there's a couple of bristlies in there Donny but I think the damage was done when it jammed itself into a shrimp tube, took some effort to get it out :o Both of the hiding fish are male and they do not swim with the main group of 8. Just havent seen cories hiding in caves, the Lasers are broken into two groups (cliques?) in their tank but nothing in the caves provided. Thanks mate :hail:

When my Sterbais are spawning I often see the males angling themselves next to one another (side-by-side) and pushing each other back and forth, and although it looks somewhat aggressive, none of them are worse for wear.

I'll try to get a photo of them doing it if I can.

Hope the little guy gets better!

Later on try moving him and his friend in with the Lasers and see how they respond, if they still hide then it may be a personality thing -- i've got a cory-only tank that has about 40 to 50 of them in there (hard to count so I don't know the exact numbers) and even with all that "support" a lot of my cories are still very shy, while others will come out and nibble at my fingers when I clean the tank!