Sign in to follow this  
Ryan220587

Aquaclay ground or Dupla ground?

Hi guys,

My next project is going to be a fully planted tank, and I am told that aquaclay makes a great substrate for plants. Does anyone know the difference between the Aquaclay ground and Dupla ground? Is one more beneficial than the other, or do they both serve a similar purpose? Dupla appears to be much more expensive. Any help here would be great, the stuff is expensive so I would like some light shed before I buy! Thanks

Ryan

Save your money and dont get either ,there is a way better prouct called dino dung and its australian made and owned .Aquagreen.com.au .Also would be a lot cheaper

Hey Col,

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know the dino dung was an actual substrate though? I thought it was just plant fertilizer. It's a complete substrate solution that I am looking for here. Also, funny you should mention it because I happen to have some Dino dung for sale in a recent thread :lol:

Cheers,

Ryan

Dino dung is a laterite ball. You most certainly wouldnt want to use it as a substrate. You would have one hell of a mess. Just under the plants that might like it. imo the seachem flourite is the best of the lot. It doesnt deplete. There are cheaper options which are just as good though i think. This can be a very expensive excercise depending on size of tank.. Eco complete is cheaper. You dont have to use it straight. mix it at least 1/3 with 4-5mm black gravel and you are away. There is also a brand of kitty litter which is 100% pure attapulgite clay which I use in my planter. Its very cheap. Many have great sucess without dedicated substrates. Sand and normal gravel works fine for many. Use dino dung/ dupla root laterite/ or even dupla ground or even a good clean potting mix, combined with some filter mulm as a thin first layer, and then cover with substrate of your choice. I would recommend going for a slightly coarser substrate. about 5mm or so. this way the poo falls down into it to create its own little ecosystem with bacteria to provide extra nutrient for you plants. Sand and finer suff will leave you with poo to clean up. when you gravel vac in a planter, you can stir up nutrients into the water column which can cause problems if balance isnt quite right. A combination of coarse and fine is best. Fine stuff will settle to bottom layer which will provide solid rooting for deeper plants, and coarser to allow flow through the substrate and draw down the poo for recycling.

I think its not crucial that the nutrient comes from the substrate. A good and complete dosing regeime can take up the slack. Plants which are big deep rooters like swords etc... can benefit from laterite balls underneath to supply them with the extra rich iron they might want to develop their reds fully. THis saves having to heavily dose the water column. You will find however that the people who have wonderful brilliant red plants are dosing heavily with iron regardless. They also have very very good light.

CHeers,

Jason

Hey Eddie,

Thanks for the advice. I was originally going to go for the flourite until i discovered how expensive it was. I was told that aquaclay is great stuff and I found a place selling it for $125 for a 50L bag, plus shipping. I thought that was a pretty good price and would give the tank a really outback type natural appeal. I am still unsure which road I am going to go down here, but I do want something that is going to benefit my plants, as I am looking at more of a long term solution and am serious about the whole planted thing. Maybe it might be worth me still getting the flourite long term, despite the price tag.

Ryan

It is poison hey. I find it a bit ridiculous actually. You look at what it sells for in the US, and even with the exchange rate its less than half the price of here. As low as $10-$12 US !!!!! Some distributor gouging going on methinks. Either that, or Seachem is gouging.

If you can find some reasonable shipping rate, it may be worth getting it from there.

I would have liked to do that initially also. But I figured if I can make a success without it and find it enjoyable, I can invest later and not blow an investment on an attempt that wont last. If I ever re-plan or move, I will consider it now. But, the attapulgite works a treat for me, so I am pretty happy. $25 for substrate comparable to the expensive stuff I am pretty pleased.

Ryan,i have used aquaclay in my 6ft display tank and it works a treat for growing plants,looks good and easy to clean..but like everything bloody expensive

Hey guys,

Yeah I am definitely interested in going for the Aquaclay now, $141 AUD shipped to me from Sydney's Accent Hydroponics in a 50L bag. Not bad if you ask me. Hopefully it will be enough to fill my 6' tank

Hey guys,

Yeah I am definitely interested in going for the Aquaclay now, $141 AUD shipped to me from Sydney's Accent Hydroponics in a 50L bag. Not bad if you ask me. Hopefully it will be enough to fill my 6' tank

This is the link can someone please tell me if it looks like a good deal? http://www.accenthydroponics.com/ecom1/ ... y175_1.htm

Cheers Ryan

Sign in to follow this