Sign in to follow this  
Cam07

Replacing LEDs

Do led lights requiring periodically, we have a nano reef tank and a few of the corals(a hammer and zoas) have started to look a bit poorer than usual and the acan has died. Water parameters have been very similar for the last 12 months and the only change has been it went 4 weeks without a water change instead of the usual 2 weeks but aall parameters were still close enough to the same. Everything it he tank has been in there for at least the last 6 months

Ammonia, under.25 nitrite0 nitrate 40ppm ph8.2 salinity 1.028 calcium 440ppm phosphates under .25ppm. kH 161ppm

Temp gets up to 28 degrees max and about 22 min today haven't noticed it over 26

All these have been similar results for the last 12 months, the only feeding I do is about 1/4 block of mysis mushed up fine once a fortnight.

LED lights can lose power over time.

Especially if they get very hot for long periods.

If corals appear to not be getting enough light increasing food to them can compensate a bit for this.

But with nitrates at 40ppm I am not sure increasing feeding is a good idea.

Many of the corals you listed stress if temp gets above 27degc. So that can be a factor over long term.

Also whats ya mag at? And what style filtration?

What water are you using to water change and top up?

sorry for interrogation, just trying to narrow down most likely cause.

Was just about to to say about the nitrates donny ahaha.. What are the LEDs you have on the tank ? Also what fish if any ? Theres not to many fish that will fit In a nano that will destroy corals but thought I'd better ask

I'm sure the nitrates are lower than the results say I use api for it as it is easy and the results always come up the same I have used a different kit a few times when the api one was saying 80 ppm and the other kit was saying 10 ppm from memory. I am just lazy and don't get the other kit out every time I test. We use nsw for changes and rainwater that we dose with prime and leave in a sealed drum for top ups, generally about 1 litre every 2-3 days.

I have never tested magnesium.

The tank runs a chiller and does get a bit warm from time to time esp. On hot days but it's generally not for long periods.

The biggest trouble is I work away for at least 2 weeks at a time and it's hard to know exactly what's been done when I get home

No fish, there's 1 peppermint shrimp and a starfish and snail. There were 3 pep shrimp until about October but 2 disappeared coincidently not long after 2 year old thought he would rearrange the tank

Edited by Cam07

What is the salinity swing before and after you do the top up?

If its signifigant it can also cause issues.

nsw quality can be effected by weather and can be varied by nature, time of collection and collection point.

Mag is always interesting, as without it, calcium and KH arent much good to corals.

Edited by Donny@ageofaquariums

I tested nitrate with my other kit and it is showing under 5ppm which it seems to always be(5ppm aqua sonic = 40ppm api) the lowest I have seen salinity is 1.026 and highest 1.030 over a 12 month period most changes week to week seem to be .001 and 1 change was .002. A few times when I have checked before and after top ups the swing was .001 but most of the time I couldn't see a change. Any time I have made any changes to salinity I have tried to do it over a week doing it in small increments

Sign in to follow this