Buckshot

Fibreglass bathtub high Ph

I've got a fibreglass bathtub outside as a fish pond, the ph seems to go up all the time. My tap water is about 7.6 but it has been raining a lot lately and filling the tub up. I thought the rain water would lower the ph if anything. I don't have any substrate in the tub Just duck weed and some goldfish the ph gets up to around 10. The goldfish have been eating and growing no problems. The seal on the bath tub seems abit rough, just wondering if the fibreglass would push the ph up?

fibreglass once cured is neutral, it won't change the ph levels at all, and unless you have removed the smooth shiny gel coat finish of the tub the water isn't even in contact with the fibreglass itself.

Is the rain falling straight into the tub or is it run off from a drain or roof somewhere ?

Has it always been a bath tub or was it used for something else before your pond ?

I'm a fibreglasser and have moulded fibreglass rocks and backgrounds for my tanks for years and had no problems with them.

cheers

Cheers the rain is just falling from the sky into the tub, the tub was in a mates house that got flooded and so they got a new one with the renos so he gave me the old one. The smooth finish in the bathtub below the water line is rough now since the water has been sitting in it. Above the water line it is still smooth. Thanks for the response, it got me stumped why the ph keeps going up. The ph in My fish tanks normally goes down after a few days to about 7.2-7.3 but in the bath tub it goes through the roof.

No I don't have any rocks or anything. I've added some Lilys in a pot with potting mix but that was only recently the ph was already high. The Lily's are growing really well.