wadedidit

DIY Project - Tang Shell Dweller Species Tank

Hi everyone,

After some one advice and assistance.

I saw a small tank at a shop which was around 2-3 feet long and only about 15 cm high and wide and thought that would look good with some shellies in it.

So so I want to make this my first DIY aquarium project.

So decisions:

Size? 3x1/2x1/2?

Dimensions? Exact glass measurements?

Glass thinkness, the glass shop said they can do 6mm or 10mm, so I'm unsure.

Filtration, heat etc!

so many questions, any help would be awesome.

If your only going 1/2 ft high and wide I don't know why you couldn't use 6mm...its not going to have a huge strain being that shallow...filtration might be interesting as you don't have a whole lot of depth...possibly a very small canister(MacGyver the inlet to go long ways easy enough)...I have seen some unique smaller types and with only a small amount of water as you will have it should be pretty cheap to get something suitable and might only need regular small top ups of water/small water changes if the filtration is good..

For appearances a wide shallow tanks is harder to make look good. Often you hear about the golden ratio for scaping tanks, it also works for tank size in terms of nice sizes. Once you have a colony breeding they will fill the height especially if you get in the habit of dropping in a little feed everytime you walk past the tank. The fry tend to swarm up out of the shells looking for those small particles of food.

For filters - I say go simple, either a sponge, or if you wanna have fun with the build consider a sidedrop filter. (a sidedrop can be built into the back and like a sump could be used to hide you heater.... )