danfishy84

Venting for the win.

and so many fools argue that electric yellows with think black fins are all males.. makes me laugh.

Don't know how many websites I viewed when starting with the electrics that tried to fob off such information.

Yarda yarda black fins have little to do with sex.

Decades ago with some strains that was the way of sexing. These days not so much due to line breeding and locality crosses (99%+ of Australian stock) which have changed all that. There are however still strains where that is the way to sex with 100% success. post-8516-14711633096581_thumb.jpg

post-8516-14711633096331_thumb.jpg

post-8516-14711633096469_thumb.jpg

It is still a way to see but no where near 100% I find no black 100% female. A little back 80% female and a lot of black 20% female.. let's face it who have time to vent sex.

let's face it who have time to vent sex.

Exactly, never quite got around to it. And as it has never seen interested in breeding for 2 years+ you just sort of assume.

Venting is pretty useless too. Everything looks male to me unless it has previously laid.

pretty sure [MENTION=57]DFishkeeper[/MENTION] line breeds for this trait.

That's right guys, personally I really like the look of the black fins contrasting with a nice bright yellow body.

So for the last couple of years I have been selectively linebreeding for this trait, selecting females showing some black in their fins for breeding.

This is still a work in progress, but I am starting to get some females with very black fins and even an egg spot.

Makes sexing them very hard until they are big enough to vent sex accurately.

Cheers, Doug