Mirrorscale

Canetoad Question

Went to collect some duckweed out it's container this morning and found a dirty big cane toad doing laps in the container. I was getting it to feed to the goldfish but now I'm not sure if I should. Have rinsed the weed off and put it in some clean water but I wouldn't mind some advice on if I should. Worse case scenario is chucking it on the compost heap and starting the regrowing process.

Not sure mate about if they would affect plants but I know some one whose dog got sick through the week and they put it down to cane toads had been in the dogs water dish so if not sure I'd start again

Yeah I think some cane toad collection nights are on the cards. Going to go and build up some brick pillars and make them high enough that they're going to need to learn to pole vault if they want to get in. So annoying to have to compost the duckweed but what can you do. Lesson learnt.

Yeah I think some cane toad collection nights are on the cards. Going to go and build up some brick pillars and make them high enough that they're going to need to learn to pole vault if they want to get in. So annoying to have to compost the duckweed but what can you do. Lesson learnt.

you can have a bunch of my duckweed if you want... i have more than you can poke a stick at haha

The poison glands on a cane toad are the 2 rough spots where imaginary ears would be. The poison is a white sticky secretion. So unless your fish eat a cane toad (or tadpoles), you don't have to worry about your duck weed poisoning your fish. If that were the case, there wouldn't be any fish left in creeks & dams.

Thanks for the offer Tristan. If you a little closer to me I'd take you up on that for sure. And yes, The poison glands I knew about but just didn't know if the toad was maybe stressed and releasing anything into the water that may hurt the fish so I wanted to be safer rather than sorry later. Cool info about the rainbows. Never knew they did that.

I've now changed the container to a much bigger/higher storage container, I think it's one of those 5o litre or so ones and have put it on top of two rows of bricks to add to the height. They'd have to be seriously desperate and cleaver to get into it.

Hmmn. I'm looking at getting a mesh cover tomorrow so that should sort them out. By the time I've finished toad proofing this container they will not only need to pole vault to get on it but learn how to use wire cutters to get in lol. Might add another layer or two of bricks to the height just to frustrate them either further.

Well thank you everyone for all the input. Certainly puts my mind at rest and I know more than I did. I haven't added any extra's onto to it so I will just wait and see. Froggies can get in and out and Toadies shouldn't be able to. The toads will just have to go find other places to go and do their nightly laps. I certainly appreciate everyone's help. Cheers Guys :typing:

I caught a couple of huge cane toads at night and put them in a big white bucket at least 400mm high with wide mesh on top and in the morning they had gone.. climbed out. Have seen them piled 3 high on top of each other to eat the bees at night

Dunno about everyone else but we have been getting a lot of Juvenile Cane toads around our place. Haven't seen a big ones for weeks, usually get about 6 or 7 juvies a night. No problem they still die just as easy with a bit of detol/metho mix.

Dunno about everyone else but we have been getting a lot of Juvenile Cane toads around our place. Haven't seen a big ones for weeks, usually get about 6 or 7 juvies a night. No problem they still die just as easy with a bit of detol/metho mix.

I've noticed the same thing up my way this season, no adults but lots of youngies.