MagicRik

Seahorse setup help plz

Good evening all.

Im wanting to setup a saltwater tanks for my wife, she would like seahorses.

After setting up two freshwater aquariums in the last two months I said sure, how hard can it be? After two weeks of letting my OCD run riot, watching 100+ youtube vids, reading what seem like every web page on setting up saltwater aquariums. Im no closer to knowing what I REALLY need. apart from a tank.

Heres why.......Ive read you much have......

Sump

Co2 injector

Protain skimmer

Calcium reactor

Denitrifier

Phosphate-removing reactor

Kalkwasser reactor

automated top-off system

granulated activated carbon

Refugiumg with mirecal mud (must be mirecal mud or your dog will die!!!)

Tank controllers

lighing

Return water pump

power heads

So after reading for weeks I walk into my local Aquariums aLive to see a Aquatopia 30l marine tank on the counter just plugged into the mains with corals and all kinds of cool things in there.

He did say its much hard with smaller tanks but thats because things go south much faster.

So what do i really need? Ive been looking at the Aquatopia 80l as a starting point. I know I also need a chiller to, but which one?

Any help would be great.

Thanks Rick

if you go on seahorse australia on facebook, they are really helpful and friendly there. i kept a seahorse only tank a few years back. they are just a beautiful majestic animal. when they do the courting dance, its a site to behold

you really need to be on top of the water conditions all the time, if things go wrong the medications don't work on horses like the other fish.

i ended up selling my horseys, i didnt have the time to look after them

I used to keep and breed seahorses with a simple air undergravel filter. Low stocking rate so very light food and bio load. This wasn't a reef tank so no skimmer, any or no light, occasional water change with collected sea water if possible but swim pool salt if lazy. ( The cheapest are the least refined & just evaporated seawater).

If you get into breeding, run a few black mollies with them. The handle saltwater just fine and drop babies regularly which make great live food extremely high in protein.

Must have a protein skimmer, I don't care what any one says. Seahorse are slow eaters and often won't eat all the food that's placed in the tank for them, this is why you need a protein skimmer,s to catch it before it breaks down. A taller tank is better for seahorses not so wide. They like lots of things to grip onto the tail with, and it's best to keep them with slow eating fish also otherwise they will not get there food. Temp control is important with seahorse, they do stress easy and a good clean up crew in the tank isn't a bad idea. Good luck and just keep asking questions

Get a decent sized tank, I reccomend 120Litre and up. It can be taller than usual.

Get a chiller as most common species will not enjoy above 27degC.

A good skimmer is worth the investment as it will reduce maintence greatly.

Use a quality salt mix, red sea would be my suggestion for consistancy and value.

You have a lot of options for filtration, however if you are put off by sumps, a canister is a viable option for seahorse tanks. Get something decent like a fluval 06 series.

A sump is great for helping hide your skimmer.

I have kept seahorses for many years myself, and made plenty of mistakes along the way.

It was a great experience and taught me that with a bit of care they are very long lived indeed.

Then again I lost plenty as well.......... my fault for rushing and being a bit gungho with them once I had lots of babies growing out.