Sophiaczarkowski

Advice needed on several items...please and thank you

Hey...I've been searching and searching without much luck and I need some help...

1. Power outages.

we have a cyclone (cat 2) heading our way and if it hits I could be without power for an extended period...I have a 3ft tank with 7 blue Dolphins in it - acquired 5 new ones last Monday. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to keep the fish going and maintain water quality if we end up with no power for a few days?

2. Water conditions.

Is there any good threads/forums/info that anyone knows of that would help me understand water quality better and allow me to expand my knowledge in this area? Google searching nets me lots of info but I see lots of contradictions.

thank you so much in advance for any and all help.

Battery air pumps are great, water changes, and if running canisters or internal filters put your bio media in the tank to help keep It alive. But generators are the bomb.

As for water quality there is the nitrogen cycle to look at.

As well as understanding how kh and gh interact with ph

These things rock

Age of Aquariums - OTTO SA11000 AC/DC Air Pump

overall though

1) DON'T FEED!

2) If in doubt water change, heck if you dont have water then just tip a bucket into a bucket then back again a few times......... then back into the tank.

3) a foot pump for blowing up an airbed can be good......... and heck even an airbed lowly leaking into the tank via an airtube.

4) Try to split fish between tanks, the more surface area for each fish the better

5) if ammonia spikes and you cannot water change, you can use some chemicals like ammolock or fraction to bind up ammonia short term.

6) Unpack canisters and give the media a clean in water taken from an aquarium. Try to keep at least some media alive submerged in open containers/buckets.

7) big fish need more oxygen

8 ) remove any dead fish before they release ammonia and kill everything else in the tank!

good luck amigo

blackouts suck

battery operated airaters, frequent little water changes and like already mentioned a generater would be the best investment, but i know buying a generater for just one tank might not seem worth while.

dont feed them while you have the power off, they should be able to survive a few days without food with no permanent damage.

if you dont already have any battery operated airaters your chances of getting any over the next few days might be slim.

you can use a bucket if your desperate. a little tedious but it works. take a bucket of tank water out and pour it back in. repeat, repeat repeat.

or you could put the bucket of tank water above the tank and using airline tube slowly dribble it in useing the syphon technique.

maybe some other people might have more suggestions and tips to help.

Thank you so much for the info. I didn't think about feeding so that's good to know.

Thanks for the tip on the air bed. I was contemplating asking my partner to sit on the couch and blow into the Air tubes at 5 min intervals - I'd do it but my lungs aren't strong enough :)

Thanks Donny I'll have a look at the air pump as it seems to have more output than mine as well, it is probably a worthwhile upgrade. I have a3ft stone and it just isn't producing a full curtain of O2 like I want.

Should I remove all the plants from the tank? Purple waffles, aluminiums and a small one that looks like purple waffle (can never remember it's name.)? Not overly concerned about the plants as the fish will have destroyed them in the next week or so anyway.

Thanks again

Sophia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All good answers above, the good thing is we are not in the cold season so heating is not critical, so hopefully no severe cold snaps during the weather.

A good cheap investment is a biological sponge filter kept (Cycled) inside your tank, this gives aeration and filtration. This one item attached to a battery air pump, lets you stay in business with no stress. Your fish wont even notice the power is out other than the lighting. With the addition of regular partial water changes, and infinite batteries, you can potentially run your tank on this until the heat becomes an issue.

For those using petrol generators, just be aware of carbon monoxide buildup as fish rooms are usually sealed against heat loss.

The best insurance against power outages is a low stocking rate. You won't have to do anything.

For those with a high stocking rate and fish are starting to gasp, use an ice cream container or bowl to scoop and turn the water over. (Once an hour should be sufficient).

Sophia if you cant find a battery air pump at any pet stores check out the fishing places, they are used to keep bait alive

your plants will be fine

if you do put the filter media in the tank, wash it well first with tank water, if you dump really dirty media in to your tank it will chew up all the oxygen, and create an ammonia spike.

Thanks [MENTION=11860]danfishy84[/MENTION] I might try and find a battery air pump today. [MENTION=1698]trofius[/MENTION] will try the fishing shop - thank you.

Yep they're juvies. I plan on parting with 3-4 of them in a few months - keep one male and a few girls. I'm looking at buying a house at the moment too - the way I see it is new house means new tank...right? And if I'm gonna buy a new tank I might as well go for like 5 or 6 foot.

On the cyclone front the new track map has it hitting Yeppoon at like 1am tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice.

Be careful buying those cheapy generators. I know the Bunnings brand generators that claim to be pure sine wave inverters are a POS!!! And I speak from experience having worked for a company that was the warranty repairer for that brand. They are worthless!! I've seen these cheap ones fail after an hours work!

If you are going to buy a generator make sure it's a good quality one. Spend the extra dollars and buy a reputable brand like Honda, Yamaha, genelite etc.

So in my wisdom today and my profound knowledge of all things weather I decided the cyclone was going to dull off and hit somewhere way north. Of course, the lack of any real knowledge on weather meant I'm a little under prepared for what's a now Cat 5 beast. The rain and wind have picked up, not sure how bad it will get. Anyway long story short I don't have a generator or battery air pump. Cue lack of knowledge of physics (I think??) if I use my air hose and cut it down I'm thinking I should be able to use the siphon effect and run water from one side of my tank, out of it and over the other side of the tank then let it trickle feed about an inch above water level it should creat water movement and a little oxygen and run continuously. Like that one time my robotic vacuum cleaned up my air line above the one way valve and the water didn't stop siphoning. My floors were very clean that day and I amended my air hose/pump setup. I figure the siphon thing plus above awesome advice above should get me through.

Haha I still have power... Not sure how can't believe I do, but yep...it's real intense.

No. We've found gudgeons - emperor I think around the area and post floods but never had much luck with them. Not sure why. I do like the rainbows but I love African cichlids.