wadedidit

Keeping Altolamprologus Compressiceps

Hi everyone,

I have always wanted to keep these guys and now I finally have four.

One 7 cm male, one 5 cm female and 2 x 3 cm Juvies.

Like I said, always wanted, never kept them before. I was worried about one of the Juvies, plonked on one of the rock outcrops and not moving much. Any other fish I would have though it was sick, but at feeding time he rushed for food, so less worries now.

I love the way their Mohawk as I call it is raised when they are feeding and telling other fish to nick off out of their territory.

Has anyone one kept these guys before and is able to pass on some good tips?

my Juvies have not yet secured any real territory as yet so one loves the top of the heater and the other the top of the basalt rock formation.

any tips and behavioural/ welfare tips would be great. Water change cautions and tips as well.

Great variety of fish these guys and yep I agree mate they look awesome when flaring their fins/showing off etc...cool little Mohawk like dorsal fins on a big faced fish is a winning combo! :pop2:..

I find Mysis shrimp bulks them up really well(part of a good mixed diet) and I find they like a lot of caves to hang out in..being a tang I find other tangs(that suit)in the tank bring them out and about...Ive got some nice little firefins in with some younger/smaller brichardi and they really strut around the tank..i find them pretty durable little guys(still look after your water and feed well to get beautiful adults like any fish!)and they do take time settling in Ive found too..just my experiences and things Ive picked up/read along the way but there are people on here who have much more experience than me..just have to get them out of their caves :eyebrows::beer:

Yeah I love them, first aquarium book I ever brought, page opened to one of these, always wanted one.

The big one has been named by the kids as spike. He comes out heaps, the little ones are always out, waiting for the shells to arrive so I can give more hiding spots.

What type do you have....... I think they are not as hard as people make out to keep and breed, but they are an exercise in patience....

High protein diet is good IMO. I feed a mix of NLS and brine flakes. I have sumbu and mutondwe comps, and while calvus.

Got fry from my sumbu in there tank..... not many but. Probes my favourite group of fish the altos.....

So/..... where are the picks?

post-15239-14711633232048_thumb.jpg

[MENTION=231]gingerbeer[/MENTION], here is a pic of spike.

I lost one of the very small comps, they are all standard gold comps, so down to three. One male. One female and one too small to tell.

I am feeding them NLS Growth, brine shrimp frozen and NLS but can't remember which one.