Sign in to follow this  
Duckess

Suggestions for plants to use with angelfish

I'm looking at setting up a tank for some nice veil tailed angelfish, and would love to know what plants are recommended, and what substrate I should use for them?

i don't want to go overboard with the number of plants, but would just like a nice looking display tank with plants, rocks and some driftwood.

thanks so much in advance!

First thing I would say is a little off topic.... In composing a scape consider how nature works. Roots and tress are looking for a foothold and tend to get it in the areas around rocks. Plants grow where they can so if doing a natural scape consider the plant placement spreading the plants around the tank looks wrong, but anchoring the larger plants around the hard scape gives a natural starting point. then use lower growing plants out from that point.

With plants, I am guessing you are looking at easy plants. I assume you do not have a good light on your tank. If you tank is a decent size this can really limit plant options. The value in putting multiple tubes over a tank to make plants grow cannot be overestimated even for a low light tank. On a four foot tank (not 4 x 2 x 2 ) I would have at least two tubes. Remember tubes run out of go so the best way to keep plants happy is to replace every 6 months. (I tended to have a rotation policy.

To grow plants you need light, plus Co2 plus fertiliser. Every plant needs this. some will survive without all but too thrive you need to think about all and keep in balance.

If going low tech, nothing wrong with DIY CO2 with a yeast mix, coke bottle and an airline.

for substrate I like eco complete. I like how clean it is when you do your replants and move things cause you got it wrong, and as a beginner you need to give yourself permission to make mistakes. Once you become an expert then you realise that just means you make bigger mistakes and have to move more plants......

Once I have my tank set, I like Amazon swords. These are a striking centrepiece and form a good breeding site for the angels. I like a lot of the crypts, and they can give you some nice colour options. I like plants like ambulia, I really like hygrophila polysperma, both easy bunch plants that work well and give somewhere for your tetras you must have in an angel tank a place to hang and do what fish do. Be aware when you buy plants as much as you will like the red ones you see, red means I need more light..... and more CO2 in turn...... An aponogeten is a great plant in moving water, and I love them and hate vallis, I mean I really hate vallis.....

A good foreground plant is the cain swords, tenellus is fantastic and forms a green carpet. great for corys to nose around in.

Fert wise, I like a good substrate fertiliser, like DinoDung. Stuff is magic with swords and crypts. There are lots of option and give stuff a try and see how it works with your plants.

One final note. for your angels they really would look great in a two foot tank, but getting light down through a two foot tank at a level to satisfy plants is not a cheap option......

Agree with most of [MENTION=231]gingerbeer[/MENTION] suggestions, but co2 is not an absolute necessity for good plant growth.

It can also be very confusing for a beginner.

I bred Angels for years and years and as far as plants in their tank, anything goes.

Thanks heaps for the advice. I have a three foot tank which is 2 foot tall. I actually pulled I em of my bulbs out as it was too bright and was making too much algae grow, so hopefully that means my lighting is ok.

I'm at a total loss with the Co2, so I will have to do some more research there!

Where can I buy the Eco complete? And what sort of substrate is it eg. Grave, sand etc?

Fine gravel (3mm) would be enough as substrate, about 5 to 7 cm deep.

Just keep up the fertilizer as in root tablets and liquids.

If you think you must have co2, go for the liquid form known as glutaraldehyde.

Thanks bluebelle, I'm also wondering what plants can be attached to driftwood? I saw an amazing photo on here from a few months back with various plants all over the driftwood and it looked awesome!

Sign in to follow this