Has anybody ever encounter this before.

I lost a fish on the weekend possibly had syntoms of GBD.

I have done some reading on this but it all seems so confusing.

So just wondering if anyone could explain it simply for me or point me in the right direction for a site that explains it easy.

Thankss JP

Hi mate, need to find what causes this in your tank as treating is useless with GBD if the cause is in your system. ( not much info from you ). Did you just do a massive water change? Submerged end of the hose underwater when filling cause supersaturated gas (tap water`s pipe is presseurised hence you see when filling new tank, tiny bubbles sticks on side of the glasses) Or adding cold water into your already heated tank might cause this as cold water holds more gas, is your submersible pump sucking air or valving system/piping that cause gas to break in and dissolve within the water? I`d add more aeration to try releasing the SS gas in your water .

I have always had the hose under the water and haven't had a problem for years.

But from now on I will keep it out of the water.

I use rain water to do my water change so it is naturally cooler than the tank water.

Temp doesn't drop that much as its a huge tank.

The pump doesn't suck air so I can cancel that one out.

yea GBD sucks as its not parasitic and bit tricky to find what actual causes are. Honestly if there`s nowhere in your piping or pump that can cause gas to get into the water, I might check on how cold your rain water is as you also mentioned the outlet is submerged in the water. Good luck mate and I`d pay attention on that clown as if the bubble burst it might cause secondary infection.

It's too late for the poor old clown sadly.

I'm still unsure as to what could of caused it.

I done the usual water change today except the end of the hose was out of the water.

Temps don't drop too much when I do a water change.

So I'm left scratching my head.

Well I'm still none the wiser.

Water changes were done with hose out of the water.

All other fish look and act normal.

So hoping no others are or were affected.

Was one of my worst loses yet.

He was 60 cm and had 21 spots one side and 19 on the other.

knife's are generally tough as buggery by the time they reach size, not alot can phase them especially not some hose being out or in the tank during a water change.

but the above knowledge is good to know for future reference,

Is it at all possible the knife became a little to curious around the rays / other catfish in the tank with spikes and what we are seeing could have been some type of infection caused by a small puncture of some type in the beginning and the end result was some type of nasty infection ?

My Ck has done many stupid things in his life such as attempting to eat a good sized bristlenose catfish which begun spiking when it was half swallowed and caused a nasty after effect on him for a good 2-3months afterwards, pretty sure he was lucky to survive this, his also swallowed a bloody rock lol -- not the biggest brains in the fish world!!

agree with what th3f0rg0t3n said, what puzzled me is that the system has been up and running as you mentioned so should rule out the incorrect pipe valves and pipe fittings unless if leakage just occurred lately. Is your pump work per usual? no cavitation like causes micro bubles comes out from your outlet? And some hose in or out is just one of so many cause of GBD. As we all know that more water surface agitation allows gas exchange from inside to out of water surface. Submerged hose in tank has less or even no surface agitation so cold water ( in his case is rain water ) that holds more gas gets into warmer water that hold less gass without having the chance to degass as there`s not enough surface agitation. If any new symptoms (touchwood) I suggest you to check thoroughly on your pump and piping system. Even invest on a total gas dissolved meter and check the TDG ( total dissolved gas). All the best JayPee

No pump is fine. It hasn't missed a beat yet. It's a Laguna 16500.

It could very well of been a Ray as there are a few in there.

As for catfish I only have 3 plecos and there are a couple bn that found their way through the pump and survived.

System has been going for a while now. At least 1.5 years.

I'll look into the tdg meter.