kbrookes

Breeding Sterbei for the first time

Hi all,

I've got a little breeding colony going which I've just moved into their own tank due to tankmates immediately eating the eggs they (rather obviously) laid out like a buffet on the glass.

They're now in by themselves, with the exception of a single red cherry shrimp - I have no idea how he got in there.

24 hours after the move and I have an increasing number of eggs on the glass.... so what now? I've read some people move them, others don't. I've got a fry-saver I could add to the tank and roll eggs into, for example.

Edited by kbrookes

I roll my eggs as they appear onto small lengths of glass which are then easily moved from tank to tank or positioned near an airstone for hatching. This lets me collect similar aged batches together for raising without having to net or siphon babies.

My adults will eat young babies as well as eggs.

You can get away with microworm (free) as this sits on the tank bottom alive for days underwater but artemia allows you to see how well they are feeding. The red bellies are very obvious and help a lot if your inexperienced with feeding babies.

Thanks - this time around I'll leave them in with the parents and see what happens.

I've got myself some brine shrimp eggs which I'll get started on hatching tomorrow.

The only problem is the air pump I got today for the hatchery and for the sponge filter I've now added to the cory's tank is noisy as hell.

I can still use it just for the hatchery, just out in the laundry. I'll gratefully take any recommendation for an inexpensive quiet air pump for a 50l tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk