zfontaine

Algae problem - identification and advice

Hi All,

I have an algae problem. From my research I believe it to be cotton candy algae, but am not 100% sure. I have attached a pic in the hope that someone can help identify it and possibly even provide a solution. For some background, it appeared over several days about 6 months ago in a patch on live rock, all parameters in the tank were good, no detectable nitrates which was my first check. I tried to remove it with a siphon hose. Removed a large amount but then small amounts spread through the tank. It has been dying off and regrowing. My nitrates have since been up and down sometimes up to 40ppm. I do weekly water changes with purchased sea water and thats around 15% and top ups are with ro/di.

Please help if you can.

Thanks.

post-10750-14711633181505_thumb.jpg

hey bud whats your reading for PO4 ? algae love phosphates and will grow like crazy with any traces of it in your system, if its a little high perhaps try adding a media reactor with some rowaphos or the likes, i had the same issue in my tank with some halymenia sp. that just kept popping up after i removed what i could, so i added a small RLSS media reactor and the recommended amount of rowaphos and ive not had any algae issues since :) (of course keeping up water changes and trimming refugium algae regularly aids this also) hope this helps :)

This is quite true!

What do you feed your tank life with mate?

Also as you have been told by oscar, phos and other inorganics are the algae’s friend, not so much nitrate though, only algae high in cyano or actual cyano can fix nitrogen with it.

Your algae may be asparagopsis taxiformis of which some say is cotton candy or red turf algae, so who knows, a close up would confirm what it is.

Maybe as you are told with GFOh and I would go with bio pellets and or both nitra guards mixed together as well.

Hi folks. Thanks for the responses. PO4 is at 0.25. Have never been able to reduce it below that. Not sure if its the test kits. Have been using API for that. I use red sea kits for everything else (just never been available for PO4). I like to buy them locally so i can check expiry dates. As for feeding been using fish fuel co daily 1 block in the morning 2 in the evening, mix of greens and meaty foods. Fish clean this up in a couple of minutes and then you see brittle stars etc come out and seem to clean up left overs. As for refugium, have been loooking for supplier of macro algae for a while. With no luck...second reason i joined a few forums. My sump has 4 stages, which are definately not utilised as much as i would like. Would love to have planted refugium (will get there eventually). I will take your advice on and tomorrow start looking for a suitable media reactor. Thanks to you both for responses. I have to say thus seems like one of the friendlier forums. I havr had marine tanks for about 7 years and relatively problem free. When an issue crept up i was put off by various forums because there seemed to be so many armchair experts. You guys have been everything but that...thanks again ☺

API is cool for starting your tank and basic testing but not great if trying to keep delicate inverts or work out near exact readings.

If you can’t find suitable reactor you can make your own out of clear plastic or down pipe and even glass can be a dam fine reactor.

Any way if that reading is correct it’s to high for delicate inverts for the long term and very pleasing to bad algae.

You see bad algae likes phos as such, good algae as in symbiotic algae prefers quite low phos and near no nitrate.

That's good for your corals with maybe some other foods tossed in and each three days is okay but with some corals they do not feed mostly via light, they need to eat a little more regularly.

In the ocean they eat plankton and plankton is 24/7, phyto by day mostly and with night time the most abundant with zooplankton and phyto inactive.

Thanks liquidg. Yeah thougjt the API may not have been the best for accuracy. A little light on with corals. Had a 4 day power outage about a year ago and lost a bunch...right in the middle of the wet season so the temps skyrocketed. Yes that was followed by purchase of a generator ☺. I have been tying to keep feeding to the minimum sustainable level while nitrates been up and down. Well focus now is on phosphate reduction, including new test kit (red sea test kits have been good to me to date), do you have a preference for PO4 testing?