Sign in to follow this  
1991brouwer

Advice transporting big black shark

Hey everybody just wanting some advice and hints on this move, :help:

i have a black shark that is roughly 20+ inches, i am moving house from Brendale to Brighton about 20 mins travel, i moved her 6 months ago but i had a fresh tank already set up for her to go right into so all i did is put her in a 100L tub and trailer-ed her there as it was 2 mins travel down the road, but this time i am keeping her in the same tank which is a 6x2x3 and its a lot longer of a trip and am unsure of the right way to go about the whole move,

the options i have thought of for transporting the fish are:

1, getting a giant fish bag to put her in and place that in the 100L tub with some padding but not sure how long she will survive in a fish bag?

2, possibly using silicone to attach kids floaties to the inside of the 100L tub to limit the amount of bruising she gets from trying to jump? that way i can use a portable air pump for travel?

the other issue is moving the tank, it is a 1000L tank so it has a hell of a lot of bracing and very thick glass so it weighs far too much :ballchain:

was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to make the move easier? we had four people last time one on every corner but 2 of them were lacking arm strength and it almost didnt make it inside the house,

any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks dan.

Put fish into a temporary home so you can take your time moving the tank and setting back up.

Then line your 100 L container with a black garbage bin liner. The black will calm fish down and the liner will reduce "bucket burn" on fishes eyes as well as stopping water slosh through the car.

The largest fish bags aren't going to cut it with a shark that big. Box liners would work but you'll need multiple. If not using bags best option is a large tub with lots of battery operate aerators with small holes drilled in the lid for the airstones to go through. Don't feed it for full three days MINIMUM before the move. Use a tub with a lock-closing lid.

If your floor is flat, a couple of platform trolleys (hire able) means you can wheel the tank into place easily. Great if you have to navigate tight corners or do 3 point turns. Otherwise, if four people was difficult, use six people next time. Slide some wood beams under so they can get a better grip each side.

I do have some 200 L sized thick fish bags but they are clear and black liners will do a better job.

If your desperate, you can line up a series of milk crates from truck tray to tank stand (in position). Carefully slide the tank along, you don't need to be lifting much, just guiding. And have someone as runner to re - position the next milk crates. And if you need to raise or lower the tank, do this by lifting one end at a time, just high enough to add or remove one crate layer at a time.

Having six beefy guys is your best bet though.

Thanks sooo much for the advice everyone some awesome ideas i never would have thought of, planks of wood under the tank is just a genius idea! definately using that approach ive just got to find some berley men now haha, and i have a regular five foot with gold fish in it i can make that a temporary home for her thanks heaps :)

Having watched many an episode of Tanked and Fish Tank Kings I know exactly the approach you need. You need to get a moving truck first and foremost so you can hide people in the back to keep an eye on the shark. You also need to drive at night, probably from 10pm onwards, that will make the drive from Brendale to Brighton so much easier. I would probably chuck it in a large plastic tank, with a bubbler, and you should be fine.

Hi picked up a 45 cm black shark today and transported it over 100 klms, used a75 litre esky with black garbage bin liner drove a bit more steadier than usual trip took about 90 mins fish ate within 10 mins of being in new tank, no air stone for traveling just large piece of styrine floating on top to stop excess splashing. Dont stress fish more resilient than you think (think I was more worried than fish).

Sign in to follow this