lgw

New Oscar not eating

Hey guys,

I got an Oscar last wednesday, she's around the 25cm mark and looks thick and healthy. Now i know it's normal for some fish not to eat much if anything for a little while, whilst settling into their new home. However, this Oscar hasn't even looked like taking a bite of any food ive offered (NLS, massivore and mealworms).

If it were any other fish other than an Oscar, I'd be a little more patient. But over a week for the hungry pig of a fish we call oscars is a little odd. She looks healthy, swims around the tank, looks as if she's begging for food and there is no sign of white stringy poops.

The previous owner reckons it was fed Hikari Cichlid Gold, which i don't have, nor will i be buying. The other fish in the tank (4 inch oscar and 4 inch convict) are eating and look just fine. Am I being impatient or is there something i might be missing?

Ammonia and Nitrite are at 0 and Nitrate tends to stay under 20ppm with 2 wc's a week.

Thanks in advance

2 weeks and 2 days later... he finally ate.

After about five minutes of it swimming around the tank, he devoured a large grasshopper. I would of preferred him to eat the pellets i was offering first, but i'm glad he has atleast had something to eat.

2 weeks and 2 days later... he finally ate.

After about five minutes of it swimming around the tank, he devoured a large grasshopper. I would of preferred him to eat the pellets i was offering first, but i'm glad he has atleast had something to eat.

It's a start he'll get there eventually.

Some fish just get used to one certain brand. Try buying a pack of the hikari cichlid gold, I know you said you don't want to, but just to test the theory.

If he eats the hikari gold at least you know its nothing more severe and he will at least have something in his stomach.

Worst thing you could do is get him onto live food (grasshoppers, crickets, feeder fish etc) if he has already been eating pellets.

Once his stomach gets rumbling again and he's over the sooky period you might then be able to ween him off the hikari gold and onto whatever you want to start feeding him on.

Edited by TED

Ok, I'll grab a pack tomorrow. I was avoiding floating food as it gets sucked into the overflows too quickly. I did make up a little device to hold the food at the surface, he has a look but doesn't seem interested in eating it.

No idea what I should be looking for as far as worms go? Any advice?

Hey tell me if you awoke to find yourself in a stange land not know where you are,being unable to speak the language or why you are there and was just pull in a box just bigger either to turn around,and not be able to ran away from the noises t to be food something you dont you,would you be hunger,or stressed out needing a Valium. Now if you were given a food you knew ,would that not

would you not forget for a minute and enjoy the food from home

You'll get much more enjoyment out of himif you feed him the food he likes and know a week back on of that and a few lived, he'll be back to nor a again

Edited by swimmers

Shortly after my last post he started eating again, only a few pellets a day at the moment. He's still ignoring the massivore though, I'm sure it won't be too much longer and he'll eat every thing I throw at him.