kehw

What timer do you use?

I bought a HPM one from Bunnings recently and it stopped working after a few days. Took it back for a refund.

I had similar ones in the past and they are still working after a few years. I reckon it depends on your luck. Just retain your receipt and exchange it if it stops working.

I've probably also been lucky by the sounds of things but having used three different types of timers, all from Bunnings, I've found that the HPM timers do the job just fine. One that had an internal battery had that failed pretty quickly but it kept working as long as getting mains power. Others have been running continuously for 5 years (an older HPM 7 day digital), 2 years (Excalibur 7 day mini digital) and 1 year (HPM mechanical offset) without fail. Might be worth giving Excalibur a go. I suspect that the mechanical/dial timers might fail if any of the small mechanical, and presumably plastic vital internal parts are broken through rough handling or winding them too quickly. And likely being poorly manufactured in the first place. Also minor power surges/fluctuations might not agree with some timers...

Guess I've just been lucky.

How does a dial timer stop working?

Exactly, how does a timer stop working ? I have never had a timer fail, there is nothing wrong with the HPM ones. Just keep it simple and get the basic slimline models I find. If you are going through timers then you are either very unlucky or using them for something they were not designed for. They are a pretty basic piece of equipment, with very few moving parts and simple electronics. I have one that is near on 30 years old that I have had since I first kept fish, besides a bit of discolouration it is as good as they day I bought it.

How much wattage are you running through them ? I have one that handles all my LEDs for a breeding rack via a power board. All up it handles no more than 60 watts of leds, with no issue. Could you be overloading them ? Perhaps you need to use a relay ? But they are very simple mechanical devices, they should give grief. When you say they are packing it in, what do you actually mean ?

Do they either:

1 stop acting as a timer

2. stop allowing electricity to pass through them to the mains

3. both 1 and 2

4. do these have the little override switch on the top and does this still work ?

5. Any electrical smell or blackening ?

How much wattage are you running through them ? I have one that handles all my LEDs for a breeding rack via a power board. All up it handles no more than 60 watts of leds, with no issue. Could you be overloading them ? Perhaps you need to use a relay ? But they are very simple mechanical devices, they should give grief. When you say they are packing it in, what do you actually mean ?

Do they either:

1 stop acting as a timer

2. stop allowing electricity to pass through them to the mains

3. both 1 and 2

4. do these have the little override switch on the top and does this still work ?

5. Any electrical smell or blackening ?

Running a 30w light, on mains. And the timer just stops working as a timer