Sir Timbo

To Sump or Not to Sump?

Hi All,

I have kept fish for many years now and have mostly run a cannister filter off the particular tank at the time, this has been pretty trouble free and seamless.

I am planning on setting up a large display tank in starfire glass and it will sit in a wall where it can be viewed from both sides.

The tank I have my eye on is not set up for a sump, and apparently the glass is tempered.

Is it worthwhile getting one of the end panels removed and replaced with normal glass that is drilled and possibly a weir added?

Is a sump considerably better, than a cannister (or two)?

What are noise levels like?

cost of running?

how big a sump if the tank is 6x2x2?

It's just as a prominent display in our house, I'd like to minimise pipes running into the tank.... The plan is to set it up as an African Cichlid display.

opinions and feedback greatly welcomed.

Cheers, Tim.

I wouldn't like to use a tank made out of toughened glass.

I like sumps and canisters.

If the tank is only a 6-2-2 I'd just run a couple canisters drill through the bottom for a nice crisp look.

Can i ask why you regret it?

Trust you to ask [MENTION=12090]Tristan[/MENTION] LOL there's a couple of things mate I don't think my overflow box is big enough on my 5 x 2 x 2 and the way the baffles are set up in my sump I don't have enough bio filtration as soon as I get the money haven't worked for nearly a month no one need's any concrete in Toowoomba I will be changing it around so hopefully it will work better when I hook my rack up to it as well as my 5 x 2 x 2

Trust you to ask [MENTION=12090]Tristan[/MENTION] LOL there's a couple of things mate I don't think my overflow box is big enough on my 5 x 2 x 2 and the way the baffles are set up in my sump I don't have enough bio filtration as soon as I get the money haven't worked for nearly a month no one need's any concrete in Toowoomba I will be changing it around so hopefully it will work better when I hook my rack up to it as well as my 5 x 2 x 2

hahaha sorry I get all hot under the collar when people don't like sumps ;)

let me know if you need help setting it up or have any questions man! :)

u WILL like sumps... I will make sure of it! :boink:

hahaha sorry I get all hot under the collar when people don't like sumps ;)

let me know if you need help setting it up or have any questions man! :)

u WILL like sumps... I will make sure of it! :boink:

To easy mate post-7637-1471163319799_thumb.jpg

To easy mate [ATTACH=CONFIG]61366[/ATTACH]

so bio balls are currently submerged and definitely not as effective that way... would be better off replacing them with MarinePure Balls as they are best submerged. They are currently your only biological filtration by the looks of it as well?

Who made the sump? seems to be set up pretty weird... the 350mm chamber basically has no purpose and will just be causing a dead spot in the sump.

so bio balls are currently submerged and definitely not as effective that way... would be better off replacing them with MarinePure Balls as they are best submerged. They are currently your only biological filtration by the looks of it as well?

Who made the sump? seems to be set up pretty weird... the 350mm chamber basically has no purpose and will just be causing a dead spot in the sump.

Hi [MENTION=12090]Tristan[/MENTION] I'm not sure who built my sump but I brought it of a bloke I know and that's the way it is set up at the moment but I have coral and noodles in the chamber before the pump after the 350mm chamber

post-7637-14711633206061_thumb.jpg This is what I was going to do but cut my last baffle down to 200mm and put marine pure spheres and noodles in the first chamber and coral and something else in the second

Wouldn't the second chamber be for matrix?

I love sumps too. Run both but dread cleaning the canisters :(

My sump is an ultra basic wet and dry setup and I just use sponges, coral bones, macrapore and heaps of marine pure balls and a block. Bagged everything into filter bags to make cleaning a breeze.

post-6618-14711633206233_thumb.jpg

post-6618-14711633206407_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mitch.0

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61418[/ATTACH] This is what I was going to do but cut my last baffle down to 200mm and put marine pure spheres and noodles in the first chamber and coral and something else in the second

That layout is better in my opinion as it tumbles the water and eliminates the dead spots in your sump... in this way you can actually add in more media as it will be beneficial in all areas of the sump rather than having a big chamber that doesn't get water running through it. I would still put a fine sponge as the first entry (these need to be changed pretty regularly) and swap bio balls for something else (Matrix, MarinePure etc). Bottom line is, if you have been running the sump for a while and it is successfully converting all of your ammonia in to nitrates for the level of stocking that you have then it is doing it's job and you don't need to stress.

(I put way to much media in my sump and it isn't exactly necessary.. however it is useful when you want to set up a new tank and can use established media to get it cycling).

My sump setup cost me:

$30 - Second hand 3 Footer

$150 - for piping, fittings, valves and bulkheads (I had a lot of spare parts so with careful planning price can be lowered) (I also used union valves on ball valves on the intake and outputs and also on the pump)

$150 - for media (big Marine pure block, macropore, expanded clay and filter socks)

$70 - 4000lph Biopro pump from Aquaholics Online

Sump = possible auto water changes down the track

Can super oxygenate your water...

Cleaning is more accessible..

Much greater volume of bio media..

easier to replace a pump than a whole canister..

Possibly install ozone later on..

Hidden Heaters..

I think i just convinced myself to get one!!

I wouldn't like to use a tank made out of toughened glass.

You and me both mate! They are all coming out of China toughened now. I won't touch them..

My sump setup cost me:

$30 - Second hand 3 Footer

$150 - for piping, fittings, valves and bulkheads (I had a lot of spare parts so with careful planning price can be lowered) (I also used union valves on ball valves on the intake and outputs and also on the pump)

$150 - for media (big Marine pure block, macropore, expanded clay and filter socks)

$70 - 4000lph Biopro pump from Aquaholics Online

What size is your tank?

Im thinking about getting a 6x2x2 for Africans