Craigo

Help with cichlid bloated belly after transport.

Evening all. I'm looking for some advice from the forum elders. I have been lucky enough to have had a colony of African Haps sold me to me this week & the were transported via fastaways and arrived today. The owner of these fish has been in the game a long time & transported many fish over the years & they were double bagged correctly males separate, largest female separate & 2 bags with 2 females each with black plastic bits in the bag as well, so he has done an excellent job of packaging them for me.

However, some have traveled better than others. Males which were transported separately are in excelent form, striking fish. The large girl by herself looks great. But I have 2 out if the 4 smaller girls who traveled in pairs have extremely swollen bellies, I haven't seen anything like it before. Yes I am aware & am read up on Malawi bloat.

So, because I had planned to quarantine them in 1 tank as a colony I decided to split the group, the boys are in separate tanks & all 5 girls are in together. The fish are all swimming fine together no real lethargy in any of the fish. I gave them some deshelled peas just to see if the would eat & they were taken with no complaints from all fish.

I inspected the underside of the larger of the 2 fish with the swollen belly & the anus appears normal & vent seems a bit stretched but deffinatly not protruding.

They are in a single tank with 2 sponge filters, I have used prime & double dose of tech dens easy start cichlid salt (I use double in my system all day everyday, works for me) as this was the only 'salt' available to me after work this arvo. No food will be offered in the morning.

I have just checked the fish, after lights out & they are fine, breathing fine, staying upright, just have massive beer guts.

Any advice on where to go now with treatment would be appreciated. Is it worth isolating the 2 fish with the issue from the others? Has anybody encountered this happening after transport?

Thanks for your help, Craigo.

Epsom salt will be more beneficial for internal issues.

Keep up with the peas and monitoring the fish to see if they improve or if they deteriorate. Sorry i cant help much you seem to have done pretty much what i would have anyways haha