Ok so i have a tank with large Americans in it and a now breeding pair of silver dollars. Just wondering what is involved in raising the fry and is it worth it?

Worth it $$ wise, most likely not.

Worth it in satisfaction in personally raising a different species, yeah deffinatly.

I have no sound advice fif you mate as I know nothing about silver $$'s

Winston would be your man at a guess..

The best way to breed most fish is to have a dedicated breeding tank. In the case of silver dollars/red hooks etc I use egg crate over a clean bare bottom 4x2x2 tank to reduce egg predation afterwards. After spawning, I remove the fish and use the same tank for hatching and then first food. The breeding is the simplest part with egg hatching and first foods being more complicated. I usually start a live food culture and then trigger the spawning to co-ordinate first foods.

To trigger silver dollars to breed, just keep the sexes separate for a few weeks (so they can't spawn until you want them to), feed very heavily and then introduce them together with heavy water change/temp drop the next day.

A school of several thousand 10 cent sized baby dollars all swimming together is quite pretty. You will need lots of grow out room though.

If you just want a few babies, you could try watching the fish during heavy water changes in your community tank and have a fine net ready to scoop out a few eggs.