Gidday everyone

I have purchased 12x4x1515 tanks and want to build a system,it will be a 3 teir system my questions are:

1.timber or steel stand ? I can build the timber stand myself or have a boiler maker mate that welds for 20 bucks an hour that can weld me one whats your opinions on both? and if I go with timber what size structual pine or hardwood would be best

2.I have a 38mm glass drill here which I have been told will drill a hole big enough to fit a 32mm bulkhead will this be big enough or should i go 40mm and buy a 42mm glass bit.

3.I dont like plumbing on the outside of systems so I was thinking of drilling the bottoms of the tanks and fitting internal standpipes with a strainer on top whats your experiences with this type of setup? would I drill the tank in the middle or at 1 end and then run the return into the opposite end?

4.The system will also include 3x4foot divided fry tanks that need to be plumbed into the system as well ,the tanks are divided into 1 foot cubes with no way to get water flow through them all.

that will do for now I am sure I will have a heap more questions as it progresses will try and put pics up as I go

cheers

My 2c worth

1. I would use steel.

2. I have standardised on 25mm fittings, so this is a 35mm hole. Your 38mm holesaw should be fine. Although bigger is always better when it comes to hydraulics.

3. I don't advocate drilling bottoms of tanks. Pressure on the bottom of a tank is 100% of "system pressure" while on the side, the pressure is only that at the surface.

3a. Makes sense to have the inlet and outlet of the tank at opposite ends (although I have both at the same end on many tanks - I just use an elbow on the inlet to force water away from the outlet to prevent short-cutting of the water).

4. Ok.

cya

Graeme

1 - If you want to keep costs down and make it all easier to work with go timber. 70x35 structural pine is more than enough.

2 - A 38mm drill is not big enough for 32mm bulkheads, but that is irrelevant as 2x 25mm bulkheads per tank is a better idea.

3 - Drilling through the bottom is fine, but put one drain at either end. I would also go for 2 returns per tank to help avoid dead spots and reduce current.

4 - Just drill each compartment in the fry tanks and treat them as separate tanks. One drain and one return per section is fine.

If using timber M10 or M12 90 x 35. I've built 50 odd three tiered stands this size and can send you pics and measurements if it helps.

Edited by none