jcumpstay

Jacob's High Tech Fish Room Build

First two 5ft tanks and sumps are due to arrive tonight :-) in the meantime bits and pieces are still arriving and coming together.

one of quite a few high quality 240V solenoid valves from Process Systems

IMAG0735.jpg

A few low wattage DC return pumps for the sumps

IMAG0737.jpg

Some Marine Pure to be bagged for the sumps

IMAG0736.jpg

non-kink black hose to join the return pumps to the tanks. I have used this stuff on a number of other tanks and won't use anything else.

IMAG0734.jpg

haha just a few marine balls! :P nice work one of my favourite medias.

just a quick questions about your non kink hose, where do you get it from and how do you secure it to the plumbing?

I heard it was hard to fully seal the threaded pipe but obviously you have a way! haha

haha just a few marine balls! :P nice work one of my favourite medias.

just a quick questions about your non kink hose, where do you get it from and how do you secure it to the plumbing?

I heard it was hard to fully seal the threaded pipe but obviously you have a way! haha

Hi Tristan - Thanks for the support. Marine Pure is a bio media that's hard to beat, especially when you can get it on sale.

I source my black ribbed hose from irrigation supply stores. Try Dural Irrigation if you don't mind shopping online.

The hose i purchase is ribbed on the outside, however the inside is smooth, meaning that attaching to a 25mm LDPE hose tail fitting works well. It's usually a pretty tight fit so I use boiling water to soften the end of the hose prior to forcing it over the fitting. I also always use a SS hose clamp just to be sure. I'll try to take a photo or two of the hose over the fittings once I get to that step.

[MENTION=11165]jcumpstay[/MENTION] I agree with you on the MarinePure. I have two 406 running, both brought within months of each other. I changed from ceramic noodles in one of them to MarinePure and I tested the flow rate and it improved dramatically (10%). I worked it out filling one litre and my wife timing it, tried it ten times then bracketed the results. So I brought another load on sale and filled the other, tested the outlets last night and bam they are within 1% of each other flow rate wise. I am very impressed! Never using anything else again.

I always like to run a mix of media in my systems. The sumps for these tanks won't be huge due to limited room, however I'm still planning on running K1, filter socks and Marine Pure to achieve what will hopefully be some nice conditions for my Troph's.

This is looking fantastic.

I am hoping one day i can have such a project.

Awesome !

Thanks mate. It's all coming together slowly. I can't wait for the first few tanks to be in so that I can start ironing out any kinks in my auto water change programming on the Apex. Then I'm sure I will be wanting the next lot of racks and tanks before I know it!

Some glass arrived over the weekend :clap2:. All i had time to do was sit the tanks on the stands and get some vinyl stuck to the back of each of them but progress is progress.

IMAG0748.jpg

IMAG0750.jpg

next step is to get the stands into place, shim/level them up and the onto finalising the plumbing now that i can insert the bulkheads in the bottom of the tanks and judge valve placement.

Still waiting on some coloured acrylic to cover the weirs too. hopefully it will be a close match to the background colour.

i am a bit late into this conversation but the biggest error people do is not allow enough room between tank 1 and tank 2 (or sump) so i can change media or catch fish etc. and with wider tanks sometimes u want to get into the back corners which makes it a bugga if you dont have the head height between tanks.

i am a bit late into this conversation but the biggest error people do is not allow enough room between tank 1 and tank 2 (or sump) so i can change media or catch fish etc. and with wider tanks sometimes u want to get into the back corners which makes it a bugga if you dont have the head height between tanks.

A great point Yoshi. I have done my fair share of cursing due to not being able to properly reach the back of the bottom tank on a rack due to the height of the tank above. I have done a few things to combat this in my build:

a) all the sumps will be on trolleys with castor wheels so that they can be easily wheeld around for cleaning etc;

B) i am not trying to squeeze too many tanks in the room and the stands i have designed have the top 5x2x2 tank at 1m off the ground which gives ample room to put a 5x2x20 tank on the lower rack and still have plenty of head and maintenance room above.

c) Fry tanks will be separate to the main racks and will be easily accessible for catching etc.

Fingers crossed it all comes together as initially planned.

This is a cracker set up, Something to be extremely proud of.

Let me know when your selling your house so i can buy it :)

Hope the remaining work goes smoothly and cant wait to read more about it :)

Managed to find a few hours on Friday night to get the first two tanks in place and the auto water change plumbing in place. Will try post a pic later tonight.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement thus far ;-)

Tanks in place and auto drainage plumbing coming together

IMAG0759.jpg

Valves makes life easy

IMAG0763.jpg

Custom float switch holder #norust

IMAG0764.jpg

Starting to resemble a proper fish room now

IMAG0766.jpg

I couldn't resist posting this one. What my weather station was telling me on Friday during all the rain we received

IMAG0757.jpg

starting to sort out which plug and cable goes where

IMAG0762.jpg

I'm already planning the tanks for the opposite side of the room and to best fit another six 5ft tanks (two 3 tier racks), i am seriously considering a move to in-built side sumps, rather than weirs and external sumps. while the internal sumps will be visible (ugly), they will enable me to better fit in the tanks i want to and will still afford the ability to hook all tanks up to auto water change plumbing and control. further, internal sumps prevent the need to run additional bulkheads, drainage and return plumbing and valves. They are a lot neater. The Pros and starting to outweigh the cons so while i'm extremely happy with the setup to date, i think a move away from external sumps could be on the cards for the remainder of the tanks in the room.

Edited by jcumpstay

Started to design up the racks and tanks for the opposite side of the room today. Pretty excited that i will be making room for six 5x2 tanks :-)

Definitely going side sumps at this point in time.

5x2x2_Stand_Three_Tier.jpg

5x2x20_Side_Sump_Tank_a.jpg

With the 5x2x2's in the centre. i havent modelled the other 5x2x20" tanks yet.

5x2x2_Stand_Three_Tier_plus_centre_Tanks.jpg

Looking to have two racks of three tanks side by side. Thanks [MENTION=1698]trofius[/MENTION] for letting me know what your fish room rack measurements were ;-)

Edited by jcumpstay

Impressive as always Jacob, but I wouldn't expect anything else from you.

Can I just ask is this fish room inside a larger shed around 10mx6m? Have you sectioned off an area- just going by the pics. Great idea if you have as it should be easier to control the temperature. The problem with side sumps or side drop filters is that every tank needs a heater but you will overcome this by heating and cooling the room. Smaller area makes it cost effective. Nice one mate.

Thanks Stoney - You're right on the money mate. i have built in a corner of the shed, lined it with as much insulation as possible and sheeting it with villaboard. The idea all along was to keep the space small-ish to keep the heating/cooling requirement to a minimum. I even kept the door tolerances nice and tight to minimise incoming air draughts. As you know, individual filtration is the only way to go with a breed like Tropheus that are known for Bloat.

I have a few 5x2x2's at the moment running side sumps and they are fantastic. easy to clean, easy to change filter media and once in the centrally heated fish room and hooked up to auto water change system, things will be even easier (well that's the hope/plan anyhow).

How are your T's going mate? would love to see a picture of the Moliro and Lufubu

Jacob , with the door just put some seals in the door jam.cheap, and very effective.Although you probably have thought of this

Tropheus are going great Jacob, stripped another couple of girls this arvo. Would love to post pics but they are awful, not the fish of course but the quality of my pics, damn fish are too fast. I have no idea how you managed to do it.