jcumpstay

Jacob's High Tech Fish Room Build

It's been quite a while since I have posted an update. This weekend I managed to install another tank on the lower portion of the rack. Got the vinyl background applied and the water change valve drilled and installed (RHS). Just waiting for me to plumb in the fill valve and add some float switches for levels and it will be good to fill. Hopefully be able to move in my first three colonies within the next few weeks and alleviate some of the heating costs associated with running individual tanks and heaters!

The latest 5ft addition with side sump

Detailed view of side sump

Water change outlet and valve. Still to wire up the valve for automation.

A good design equates to perfect alignment

This is awsome Jacob, very impressive mate. What size pump will you use back into the tank?

Using a 4,000L/hr Waveline return pump, however upon setting it up I don't think I will be moving it much beyond it's lowest setting. See movie below for flow rate!

Got the pump installed, the tank filled and flowing today. The movie below shows the status. Pump is VERY efficient and I doubt I will be turning it above it's lowest setting. Good for the energy efficiency side of things.

Thanks for the comments [MENTION=15239]wadedidit[/MENTION] and [MENTION=12589]Bear[/MENTION]. Panorama shot of the whole lot together coming in the not too distant future. First step is to get the fish in the tanks and then get things cleaned up a little. Currently have crap scattered everywhere as a result of getting things up and running.

helped set up a shed for tafe,loosing air was a major problem(no power)We stared with air bottles,but with nobody there on weekend,ran out.Ended up using a dialup modem(texted whoever was on standby) when power dropped out.air cylinders kicked in then pressure switch kicked in battery /inverter,for emergency air until someone turned up..We where breeding highly stocked barramundi breeding tanks.Loose air loose everything!

Haven't had a lot of time to dedicate to the fish room in the last few months, but the last week or so has seen James (@Obeice) finish welding up my two three tier 5ft x 2ft stands and i have been able to drop them at the powdercoater for a high quality coating.

Feels great to have these sitting in place at last.

Now for leveling, plumbing, tanks, control etc, etc....

Stands.jpg

Stands-2.jpg

Thanks again to James for his work on the stands. Never have i seen better welding skills and the crew at the powdercoating shop said the same thing. I can't recommend James enough for all your tank stand/rack needs. Quality, quality, quality

Stands-3.jpg

Stands-4.jpg

Offset legs make all the difference in getting that need and fitted look :-)

Haven't had a lot of time to dedicate to the fish room in the last few months, but the last week or so has seen James (@Obeice) finish welding up my two three tier 5ft x 2ft stands and i have been able to drop them at the powdercoater for a high quality coating.

Feels great to have these sitting in place at last.

Now for leveling, plumbing, tanks, control etc, etc....

Stands.jpg

Stands-2.jpg

Thanks again to James for his work on the stands. Never have i seen better welding skills and the crew at the powdercoating shop said the same thing. I can't recommend James enough for all your tank stand/rack needs. Quality, quality, quality

Stands-3.jpg

Stands-4.jpg

Offset legs make all the difference in getting that need and fitted look :-)

Thanks for the big up's dude means alot, more importantly it has been a pleasure for us to be a part of your build. Man those stands look amazing powder coated. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see if we can get some deals in place for our customers to go there and get great work like that done.

Hi new to the forum. Love your work. Wish I had the space. A quick question if I may. You have installed a pump to return the water into the tank could this not have been designed so that pump is not needed?

Hi new to the forum. Love your work. Wish I had the space. A quick question if I may. You have installed a pump to return the water into the tank could this not have been designed so that pump is not needed?

Thanks for the kind words. I can only wish for a setup where a pump isn't needed as it would completely minimise electricity usage.

I think a pump of some sort (even an air pump) will always be needed to help circulate and filter water irrespective of the setup.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Great build!! Any updates?

Actually I have managed to do a few more things in the fish room over the last few months. I'll get some photos for an update shortly.

Two more 5x2x2's with side sumps, a new grow out tank rack, and a skylight added.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

This room is looking awesome, nice work

Cant wait to see more pics

Holy poop [MENTION=3]jimbozed[/MENTION]mateofGrumundi How long since you last posted?? 199?

Like your sig, funny as.

Ok - so time for a mini update.

I've been working on a new side sump design incorporating the features I liked from an old air lift setup I previously had and mating them with an efficient DC return pump. Let's just say that i'm looking forward to my next few 5ft tanks.

I installed my 5x2x2 tanks in the middle of my racks, however have decided that there just isn't enough room between the top of the tank and the rack supporting the top row of tanks. The 5x2x2's will now be moved to the top of the rack where I have ample room thanks to my 3+m high ceilings in the room.

I have been pretty surprised with just how stable the temperature remains within the room to date. The AC unit switches on for around half an hour every few days and the current energy usage for five tanks is ~150W.

The T.Ilangi are breeding well, however i'm again looking forward to a slightly different tank design to help improve the catching of fry when a mother spits in the tank.

No time for photo's today, however I will definitely make a concerted effort to take some decent snaps as soon as I've had a chance to clean the room up and re-org the tanks.

While I have decided to run efficient DC pumps in each of my tanks, I am also in the process of obtaining parts to run a 15mm airline around the inner perimeter of the fishroom so that I can tee off for a spongefilter or 2 in each tank as additional and backup filtration. As always, I decided to do things properly and have gone with 5" cubes of poret filter foam and associated Cubelifters:

Cubefilters-4-inch.jpg

Anyone got a good source for airline valves to screw into the PVC pipe?

18.jpg