gingerbeer

Hot Topic Friday 6 March 2014 - Facebook and the hobby

it has its good points and bad points,

its a bad thing when somebody starts a new group and they own 2 fish in a 1ft tank and have no idea how to even look after there fish let alone run a group,

its a good thing when the admin of the group are really in it for the hobby,

face book can be used to expand our hobby, we can reach a lot of new keepers, but it can also be used to scam new members, sadly i've seen the bad side of face book groups but also i've seen the good side of them,

in the end if done right it can be awesome,

but in my opinion there are way to many and they are way to easy to open

back yard breeders selling crap fish is my experience , when u walk into a dudes house and all his tanks look like drain water from 3rd world country , leave quickly .sorry forgot too mention the tanks were cleaner than his house .

I know a lot of people use facebook, but I just don't 100% agree with the terms and conditions and the way it is used or can be used by some dodgy people.

Edited by TED

back yard breeders selling crap fish is my experience , when u walk into a dudes house and all his tanks look like drain water from 3rd world country , leave quickly .sorry forgot too mention the tanks were cleaner than his house .

haha no difference to gumtree or this forum, that's more a personal thing then a face book thing,

i've been to a few face book sellers places and you can drink from their tanks,

What are some good facebook groups?

[Admin edit] Please don't. If you want to learn more about fish you would be better off going to a club meeting.

Anyhow I don't want to remove facebook pages as some will need to be removed for various reasons.... better that no names are mentioned.

Thanks,

Admin

Edited by gingerbeer
admin note.

Lucky I'm going out to dinner with friends, or I'd probably spend a couple of hours writing out a couple of pages as a response.

I find the "general" pages to be full of a lot of beginners who want to be told what they want to hear. There are some genuinely smart and experienced hobbyists on these pages, but by and large they get drowned out by the 5 minute experts.

Don't get me wrong, there are some people who genuinely look for help and listen. But they must find it hard when they get 30 people telling them to do things 15 different ways.

Some of the specific species or hobbyist pages are much better.

Its like anything, there are good and bad and its up to the individual to decide if its their style or not.

Personally, I find Facebook great for selling tanks, filters etc as you can drill into people in your area rather than the whole of QLD. You can also choose sites for types of products eg, Tangs, Tanks, Marine, Americans, Africans etc instead of having to scroll past numerous posts that are just irrelevant.

Im also a member of quite a few tang groups throughout Australia and love them. To me it means 100% tangs and to be honest that's all Im interested in. I feel like I know many people in Melbourne/ Sydney/ Adelaide etc personally although never met them and probably never will. I consider most of these people to be friends and chat often to them sharing advice, excitement on new purchases etc.

Its all about finding your niche and doing what ever you need to make it happen.

Edited by Mitch.0

Facebook seems like a double edged sword, think I will stick with a spoonful of QLDAF.

I just don't like facebook, also what happened to living.

Updating status after every fart, playing crappy fb games, the security hazard of having your whole life available for hacking under an account, job, address, name, photos, friends, the places you go, the things you like, what shop you just walked into......

And like the internet in general, everyone can have a webpage, sifting through the plethora of trash on google for expert advice is bad enough.

I suggest pick a site of hobbyist's, stick around long enough to recognise which members know their crap and ignore the rest.

I do not do facebook at all - ever !

It is a cancer eating away at our civil liberties and privacy .

They make money out of your data without giving anything of substantial value in return .

Nice toy for the millenials - or very useful tool for the bad guys !

Depends on your point of view .

I don't have facebook as well but the rest off the tribe do I know some people have got them in the sh--- with fb blab about stuff

I joined some fish fb groups to see what they're about. Most of them appear to be full of people who do not know how to use Google. Too much "ID this fish", is this a quality fish and too many wannabe experts giving poor advice.

I'm sticking to the forums.

at least on fb groups people turn up when they say they will and there is alot less tyre kickers.

Yes there is some idiots but they're everywhere on the internet.

Cheers mick

In my experience, there are more tyre kickers and no shows on Facebook..... However, when they are ignored things sell a whole lot quicker and with more success on Facebook. For buyers, this is where the good stuff is though.

Quality information and archives are also a whole lot better here, as well as it's sense of community.

In my opinion the biggest advantage of Facebook is it's constant stream of new posts/ comments. I'm a bit of a tragic and am on fish websites what feels like 24/7... There are a lot of dead spots on this forum with no new posts for a long time throughout the middle of the day, which is when i get the most time as I work mornings and afternoons.

Facebook groups are destroying this and plenty of other Hobbies/Industries.

How many LFS have closed down in recent years? And why? Because people are now going direct to breeders/Wholesalers through facebook and Gumtree.

Yes you will get cheaper fish. But will you get the right advice, Pure strains, Imported species, Water conditioners or dry goods?

It is not only this industry but plenty of others as well. Mechanics, I.T., Basically any industry that provides a service.

They cannot compete with these backyard Facebook users who have no accreditation, No overheads, No insurance and don't pay tax.

That is the biggest reason why so many small businesses are closing down.