gingerbeer

Was last night a preview for next weekend?

For those who were not at the QCG a fascinating little preview of next weekend occurred.

For those who were not there - here are some questions, please those who were there please do not answer, but once a question is answered feel free to add another question from what you learnt last night.

How do you keep the high quality blues when breeding for shubunkin goldfish?

How many Rams would you expect to be put in a breeding tank?

What lake of fish do not have a representative in Spencer Jack's top 6 fish.

Which fish does Spencer recommend people breed for money?

Edited by gingerbeer

Imagine last night but 6 times better (6 talks)

Food and drink throughout the day

Great company and a shirt

Raffles lucky door prize

And trade tables all squeezed in a 12hr day

Now that's what I'm looking forward to

FJ

Edited by Fish Junkie

I totally forgot last night was QCG meet night, and the last chance for me to get to a meeting before my new roster kicks in. I've also been on the forum all week. Seriously, I didn't see any posts promoting last nights meeting. And having Spencer Jack talk at a general club meeting, wow, what a chance for a club to promote it's self and have a lot of new people attend a meeting.

Having Spencer Jack talk at last nights QCG meeting should have been all over the Forum and FB pages.

I do recall Steve posting earlier in the week about what got him in to attending club meetings. Why wasn't this mentioned then and made a big deal of? I also know many club people talk about clubs struggling to attract new members. I believe the non promotion of last nights meeting perfectly illustrates why clubs struggle to attract new members.

Edited by pk333

Now if you were a club member you would have got a personal email telling you. I wasn't actually going last night as was trying to earn brownie points before going out next Saturday for the day.... then I changed my mind pretty quickly.... Was a good night....

Anyway [MENTION=3878]pk333[/MENTION], any answers to the questions?

Now if you were a club member you would have got a personal email telling you. I wasn't actually going last night as was trying to earn brownie points before going out next Saturday for the day.... then I changed my mind pretty quickly.... Was a good night....

Anyway [MENTION=3878]pk333[/MENTION], any answers to the questions?

But that's the point gingerbeer, it was only messaged to club members. How good would have last nights meeting have been to advertise the club itself and next weeks seminar to all the non club members in SEQ.

If you haven't seen the conference advertised your either

1 Dead

2 Not on FB or Forums or go into Aquarium shops listen to radio talk fish with your friends go to Auctions be a member of any club Australia wide the list goes on

Spencer only flew in Thu morning and was out all day Friday. His talk was a last minute decision made by him

A quick email was sent out and it was posted on here just after members found out

IMO I think non members get a lot from clubs for no effort or cost to them

Another reason to join a club

FJ

If you haven't seen the conference advertised your either

1 Dead

2 Not on FB or Forums or go into Aquarium shops listen to radio talk fish with your friends go to Auctions be a member of any club Australia wide the list goes on FJ

I am on a few QLD based FB pages.

It's been posted once on Feb 2nd on Fish Breeders Queensland, Buy and Sell Aquarium Fish, Catfish, Cichlids. I never saw the post.

Hasn't been posted on Gold Coast Discus, or Brisbane Betta Breeders, Aquarium Enthusiats Australia, AusAqua.

If your are not in the club scene, and not on a club FB page, you're not reading about it on FB. I don't listen to radio, and I know other people don't. There are more people in the hobby today that aren't on QLDAF but are on FB.

Not everyone pays attention to flyers on the counters at LFS. I've stood in Steve Baine's shop at the counter a lot and seen people go in and out of the store and not approach the counter so miss the opportunity to see the flyers. Same goes for Pet City.

I am a member of a non QFAS club in Brisbane. I know we are not the only club that is not a QFAS member. I can't speak for the other club, but we don't mention the conference at all.

Spence only flew in Thu morning and was out all day Friday. His talk was a last minute decision made by him

A quick email was sent out and it was posted on here just after members found out

IMO I think non members get a lot from clubs for no effort or cost to them

Really! what do non club members get out of clubs if they are non auction attendees?

If I didn't attend auctions, which I rarely do, as a hobbyist, I would get nothing out of any of the QFAS clubs.

Another reason to join a club

FJ

I'm not being critical of clubs here, please understand that. I'm a big believer in clubs. I do a lot of promoting of clubs (even though I'm not a member) of clubs in FB discussions. I am being critical of the lack of promotion the clubs do to attract new members, and share opportunities that might attract new members. I would love to be able to join QCG and attend meetings, but for the vast majority of my working life, I have worked Friday nights. When I first got in to the hobby a few years ago, I sent a couple of emails to GQC after finding their website. I received no responses. That was before finding this website.

Again it comes back to being on the inside or being on the outside. If you're on the outside, how in the world would you know what the clubs do for non club members? If you're not on QLDAF and not a club member you would receive very little information about any of the clubs, even being on QLDAF, you do not hear much from any of the clubs. From being on one non club FB page, I hear more about what goes on in the Victorian club scene than I do about what goes in the Brisbane/QLD club scene.

Edited by pk333

For those who were not at the QCG a fascinating little preview of next weekend occurred.

For those who were not there - here are some questions, please those who were there please do not answer, but once a question is answered feel free to add another question from what you learnt last night.

How do you keep the high quality blues when breeding for shubunkin goldfish?

How many Rams would you expect to be put in a breeding tank?

What lake of fish do not have a representative in Spencer Jack's top 6 fish.

Which fish does Spencer recommend people breed for money?

:focus:

The Rams were is what looked like 2 foot tanks.

Most club events all are welcome !

All club meetings everyone's welcom

That way you can check out the club of your choice and decide if it's for you

Most ppl come to a few meeting before joining

some outings including the treasure hunt

Table top sales

There's been BBQ with all welcome

All clubs do a lot for everyone IMO

FJ

The qcg conference should not be missed.We had a great day yesterday in Melbourne so much so we didn't finish until 7.50pm we started approx 10am.Ad and Juan certainly gave us great presentations

along with our own guru on natives Glen Briggs.not to be missed if all possible

:behindsofa:The comment on breeding was aim for the species that are not easy for the breeding operations to breed. Hence the tangs like julidochromis and Shellies were the suggestion.

The answer is offcourse coloured by the fact that the L-numbers are not worth breeding, as they can import them so cheap from wild caught why breed them commercially.

Interesting answers, different from here due to our closed borders, but any reason is a good reason to keep tangs.....