Hi guys.

I have 5 Trifasciata rainbowfish all of which I bought at roughly the same size. 2 have developed skinny heads, one worse than the other. The other three fish are very healthy and growing well length and width. There is no obvious (to me) signs of worms, being no stringy faeces, no discoloured faeces and no change in eating habits. They don't get to eat as much as the other guys because they are smaller but they still have a full stomach after feeding time. There is one black khuli loach in the tank also.

I've got some photos here.

rainbow%203_zpsbn5amyub.jpg

rainbow%205_zpstl3f1pgf.jpg

rainbow%204_zpshglxflse.jpg

rainbow%202_zpsiedcvlx4.jpg

rainbow%201_zpskdszg6ck.jpg

I was planning on using metro on them but after looking into it I really don't know what I'm doing so I'd like to ask your advice on what product to use. I was also going to do a salt bath but that's not really effective on internal parasites.

I'd love your help guys, he's a healthy fish in all aspects other than being thin. He still eats very well so i'm confident a treatment in his food will work well.

Could be TB (Mycobacteriosis). But also could be just age. Like us, we all get old and some of us don't make it to a rip old age due to the afflictions of getting "old".

I would suggest euthanizing the fish in order to (hopefully) stop whatever it is.

Unfortunately there are a bunch of bacteria which affect rainbows in pretty much the same way, and all have the same result (the death of the fish).

Ta

Graeme

Thanks for your reply Graeme. I went to Smiths Aquarium to ask their opinion also, and they also mentioned MB.

I got a packet of Kusuri wormer which is supposed to kill worms flukes and parasites. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your reply Graeme. I went to Smiths Aquarium to ask their opinion also, and they also mentioned MB.

I got a packet of Kusuri wormer which is supposed to kill worms flukes and parasites. Fingers crossed.

Those two sick fish are not going to come back from that - best to euthanise as Ancalimon mentioned. No obvious signs of TB on those fish either. They are also not old - very much juveniles so it's not age related. Use the wormer it won't hurt. They are all skinny so need to be fed up. Rainbows require good amounts of food - far more than many other tropicals. The addition of small amounts of salt is good and as a broad-spectrum; tri-sulpha is king for natives. Poor water condition and neglect is what normally leads to that in Rainbows - perhaps as a result of conditions before you got them.

Edited by none