My partner has decided to start breeding show guppies. I picked her up a trio of these but cant work out what exactly they are... (They were just sold as guppy trio).

Photo doesnt do them justice either

post-12090-14711633265527_thumb.jpg

Looks to me like red grass male and blue grass female, try to get a pair that match otherwise they won't breed true and will be like all other mixed guppies.

I may be wrong but I'm fairly sure.

Cheers mick

[MENTION=231]gingerbeer[/MENTION] do they every breed true?

To me a pure strain should, i have spent over $500 on trios and pairs of guppies that are supposed to be pure but they don't breed true so now they are all in a mixed tank.

I would only sell strains that breed true to colour and form.

Cheers mick

oh really? ... kind of annoying they aren't the same breed as they were sold as a trio from somewhere i believe is pretty reputable... ill grab a photo of the other female too just incase.

payed 40 bucks for this trio... did i just get ripped?

I'm leaning towards red mosiac guppy which like bluegrasses, will throw out a mix of blues and reds.

Grass guppies will have much 'grass seed' dots, the finer the better. You will also get a mix of mosiac-like dots when the dots are intertwined in lower quality stock but yeah imo, what you have are mosaics

Link to my bluegrasses to compare

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/photography-video-lounge-23/some-pics-my-htd-bluegrass-guppies-76760/

so be real with me, are the low quality pretty ehh sorta guppies?

If my partner (a.k.a most likely me) is going to invest a lot of time in these I want to do it properly and of a high standard. I was lead to believe these were of good quality.

You can't polish a turd so I would rather invest money in the early stages in quality stock.

so be real with me, are the low quality pretty ehh sorta guppies? If my partner (a.k.a most likely me) is going to invest a lot of time in these I want to do it properly and of a high standard. I was lead to believe these were of good quality. You can't polish a turd so I would rather invest money in the early stages in quality stock.

Personally have never been into mosaics so can't comment on colour/pattern but otherwise they certainly look like quality fish to me, nice dorsals & half-moon like tails desismileys_3334.gif

Can I ask what were they purchased as?

Also regarding the polishing of turd, myth busted! :behindsofa:

Edited by netty_3164

I agree with Netty. They're a red mosaic guppy. They have very nice halfmoon tails. Don't be fooled by the blue on the females fins. I have redgrass guppies, males are red, females are blue, and in the 2 years that I have had them, they've never thrown a bluegrass. That's not to say that yours won't, which isn't a bad thing, just means you can separate the two colours and line breed both colours. I'm pretty sure I know where you got them from, as I was in that shop a couple of days ago and was told a lovely trio of these had just been sold.

Thanks everyone... Think you have hit the nail on the head with red mosaic. Did a quick search and the male looks next to identical to these ones:

Keen to see what these poop out and then line breeding them :) hopefully will get some blues so i can do as you suggested donny... But can continue to line breed the reds as well (as the staple until i perfect the blue/pirple/red transition.

Exciting :)

I have had them before. They throw reds and blues, but only that, hence breed true.

Sorry I don't agree, it's like a chilli endler throwing black bars, or a longfin bn throwing short fin they are both the same fish but not breeding true.

Cheers mick

Will soon find out... My females nice and fat now so should have babies soon...

If blues are present ill line breed them seperate to the reds and see if i can get two distinct lines... Is that correct?

You'd never guess this is my partners project would you....

You should be able to get two distinct lines, it may take a few generations.

So are you going to be showing your partner what to do or are you doing everything?

My wife's marine tank is the same, her tank but I look after it lol.

Cheers mick

Haha yer its the same... her tank but i will most likely end up doing everything xD she is pretty excited now but that will fade after the first time she has to do a water change xD