msc0433

Tunze vrs Laguna sump pumps any complaints

Hi people i am lookin at buying another sump pump for a system and I have both and neither have had problems but am wondering other peoples experiences are with them. Has anyone had either running for 5-10 years straight with no dramas. Thanks for your insight mark.

Why not look at the Jebao DCT range Great power efficiency and good head height pressure Fully adjustable with 10 presets?

If it breaks in the first 12 months you should be able to get it fixed under warranty depending where you buy it lol

Laguna is rock solid and sells itself.

Tunze is boring and german and just works.

But theres a 3rd option that doesnt get the attention in Oz it should and thats AquaBee.

What sort of flow rates are we talking here?

I'm tossing up between the aquabee 8000 that age of aquariums has for $800 this weekend or the Jebao DCT 8000 that retails for $100 Thats alot of difference in price?

Can [MENTION=9246]Donny@ageofaquariums[/MENTION] explain the difference in value for money Going to be running an 800L tropheus tank that I'd like to have turning over 10x per hour

I'm tossing up between the aquabee 8000 that age of aquariums has for $800 this weekend or the Jebao DCT 8000 that retails for $100 Thats alot of difference in price?

Can [MENTION=9246]Donny@ageofaquariums[/MENTION] explain the difference in value for money Going to be running an 800L tropheus tank that I'd like to have turning over 10x per hour

German vs China

That about sums it up.

AquaBee are a trusted return pump for high end reefs, where failure is not an option.

That said, a laguna 7600 is probably the most popular choice there.

My advice would be that you dont really need to go so big on flow.

10X rules were invented before we had wavemakers.

A combo of good return pump and a wave maker or 2 will help keep debris off the substrate and the water surface nice and agitated.

Fish Street has them mate Think I'll buy 2. Can't justify 8 x the price

With fish street don't forget to click on Australian currency and the Jebao DCT8000 Variable Pump becomes $115.56 ex tax each then add freight on top - if you get two pumps then your total then becomes $280.17 ex tax.

Then your warranty

Laguna 3 years - Italian Made

To my knowledge Jabao is 12 months.

Total cost of ownership on the Laguna - minimum possible cost - time 3 years about 28 cents a day - If it fails in 3 years and one day.

Total cost of ownership of the Jabao allowing the warranty 2 years (one year each) 2 days for two pumps - Costs you 38 cents a day -

This is the maximum total cost of ownership for the duration of the warranty. Should the Jabao fail in the warranty, I believe you are up to the costs of returning to Fish Street - I am not sure if you also incur the costs to have it sent back for warranty so if the unit fails in warranty it may not be viable to get the unit serviced under warranty. Yes they may last longer than the warranty but I have also been down the Fish Street before about 5 years ago and the pump lasted 6 months - I chucked it - was not worth it in the end to me.

I have a few lagunas and have never missed a beat. One has been running straight for about 5 years.

Great pump I'll keep buying them.

If you buy a cheap pump make sure you buy 2 because you'll need them

i haven't used a tunze so can't comment on them.

Laguna seem to be good on the power to flow ratio.

Do the tunze break more than Laguna or are they just as reliable as looking at the 3000 lph tunze. I have the exact pump running now for last 18 months no dramas i also have Laguna 16000 lph running last 18 months no dramas but does tunze last as long as Laguna or is Laguna more reliable thats what I was wondering or does no one know Can Donny or techy pass on any inside info if the tunze normally does break after 4-5 years or they go and go like Laguna Thanks for any info

Hard to split them - both exceptionally good - the first Tunze pump I bought was a 6015 second hand - couldn't bust it - I think Petfish is still using it and going strong.

Flip a coin - heads go Tunze - Tails go Laguna - Personally I would go Tunze but that would only be because I have bought a good number of them with out a failure and very happy - sure it would have been the same if I had decided to go Laguna.

They are two companies that do not build a product to a market price - they build a exceptionally good product and put a price on it. That is why they are long jeopardy units. They do not take short cuts. When you go, the market price for a pump is $XXX, how do we make one to fit into that price, you have to make compromises - Tunze and Laguna do not make compromises.

Tunze and aquabee are nice and German, both are great for clean water situations.

Laguna and blagdon are nice and Italian, both are great for dirty water situations.

Dirty water pumps are designed for outdoor use, and generally come with a removable cage and long power cord.

They use larger heavy duty impellors that can process solids, and can go longer between maintence.

Clean water pumps are usually more compact. Their lifespan can be greatly increased by keeping the impellors and the impellor well clean.

They often have a bit better 'power use:performance' than dirty water pumps, and sometimes have more impressive head heights.

Often you match the pump to the user as much as you match it to the aquarium :D

And thats not an attempt to come off as elitist scum either lol, more just a nod to the fact that not everyone is down with giving impellors the odd clean....... even when it means them lasting 5 times longer lol