kiwikid

Worx LEDs - Planted vs Marine?

I've been looking at swapping my existing fluro lights to LEDs for a while now and the recent easter sale has pushed me to finally do it and was wondering what the best option for me is.

I have a 6x2x2 display tank with African cichlids, black tahitian moon sand, texas holey rock and a bit of driftwood. My question is which of the worx leds would work best for me considering I want to make the tank as bright as possible because the black substrate obviously darkens the tank a bit but also bring out the best colours in the africans.

I've looked through most of the pictures on here trying to compare both lights but it's hard to tell how they would look over my set up especially with the black sand. So any first hand experience and advice would be great! Cheers.

Have a look at hydroponic lights on e-bay or at a hydro shop. They offer a better light spectrum for marine & planted tanks. Most of the new aquarium lighting out now days have been taken from the hydroponics industry which have just been re-labeled & re-priced. A lot of people get sucked into over priced products just because it says aquarium on the box. After 40 yrs of playing fish I've often found that thinking outside the box can not only save you money you often end up with a better solution and product. My 6.5ft marine tank I use 2 x 250watt MH in cool tubes. 1st light comes on at 10am then the 2nd light at 1pm at 7pm 1st light goes off then at 10pm lights out. This gives the tank a full 12hr light cycle and simulates low morning & night light & I am only using the full 500watts for just 6hrs. So apart from Fluro's & LED's you have 2 other lights to choose from HPS or MH. HPS = (high pressure sodium) these give off a broader light spectrum with a dominate red, orange, yellow spectrum which is used for the flowering cycle. The MH = (metal helide) are a dominate white spectrum which is used for the grow cycle. Your corals, enemies & plants don't flower so the whiter the light spectrum is the better. Hydroponic lights also have a greater range of LED's and fluro's & dispite what people say most are water proof or water resistant as they are designed to be in a humid environment. You can also look out for the high bay lights you see hanging in most factories as they use a MH bulb. I also have a friend that uses the LED 4WD spot light bars which he runs off a 12volt power supply. If you want to give the tank extra colour like blue, red, green just add a few LED strips. Hope this is some help..

Thanks guys. Looking to get something that's easy and ready to go Dfwi.

Have no plants [MENTION=11301]Lictoga[/MENTION] , tried that but the africans destroy them haha.

I think what you are saying [MENTION=9246]Donny@ageofaquariums[/MENTION] is I need both haha. I have a mix probably half blue, half yellows, oranges and reds so once again hard to decide. I'm guessing you don't have the 6ft model yet, will a 4ft light sitting in the middle be enough?

Cheers.

will a 4ft light sitting in the middle be enough?

Cheers.

I get asked this a lot, my only answer is that for some people it is enough and for others its not.

The light will just be a bit less bright at each end, up to you how much thats gonna effect you.

Customers really should have to declare their OCD level straight up!

No 6 footer yet unfortunately, but is coming.

hmmmmmm.......... considering you have plenty of yellow/orange maybe freshwater is way to go?

I get asked this a lot, my only answer is that for some people it is enough and for others its not.

The light will just be a bit less bright at each end, up to you how much thats gonna effect you.

Customers really should have to declare their OCD level straight up!

No 6 footer yet unfortunately, but is coming.

hmmmmmm.......... considering you have plenty of yellow/orange maybe freshwater is way to go?

Haha yeah I know what you mean and my OCD level on a scale of 1 to 10 is in the high 9+'s.

Can't wait for the 6ftr now, you've made the prices far too good for that. I think I might just get 1 of each of the 4ftrs and either use both or if one's good enough get another tank?? That's what they call win/win right?

Cheers again.

Yeah I saw that post and thought the worx worked well. I ended up getting one of the 4ft planted and one of the 4ft marine worx lights and a couple other bits. Works out to be around $90 each with the easter discount so I'm stoked! Can't wait for them to arrive so I can try them out haha.