Sign in to follow this  
richo_00

1st time Peppermint BN kepper

just picked up 4 peppermints there 3-4 cms they will b in a 2ft tank doesn't have substrate in it. What do they eat? Should i also put any driftwood in with them.. Any advice will be appreciated as ive never had them before thanks.

Yes, I would definitely put a piece of driftwood in with them. They will hide in rocks but the driftwood will also help lower the ph a little, and from my experience they do prefer to hide around wood. A few small pieces intertwined to create some smaller cave like structures would be best but yours are still quite small so I wouldn't worry too much about the caves just yet.

As for feeding them, try to get some good quality algae wafers. You can also feed them fresh cucumber and zucchini but don't leave the fresh stuff in the tank too long as it will make the water go cloudy and deteriorate your water quality pretty quickly.

They will also eat flake food but the algae wafers would suit them best.

8217e36e41ebed17e0f0ccbd3dd51165.jpg

My peps are around 3cm, 2ft tank with no substrate, drift wood with Anubias. They smash the mushrooms. They like them peeled and washed and I put it on a fork for weight. I usually put one in around 6am and remove at 5pm - any longer and the water starts to go cloudy. I change it up a fair bit and only try new fruit n veg on days where I am home all day just in case. Mine aren't a fan of the algae wafers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mushrooms. That's a first for me. Never heard anyone feeding mushrooms to peps. Squash, sweet potato, cucumbers, zucchini, raw pumpkin and watermelon peels but never mushrooms.

Mushrooms. That's a first for me. Never heard anyone feeding mushrooms to peps. Squash, sweet potato, cucumbers, zucchini, raw pumpkin and watermelon peels but never mushrooms.

Yeah...I had celery or mushrooms. I tried celery but they wouldn't go near it so I threw a mushroom in. They went berko for it.

9004cfd460ad798f3ba9bf10d15206e9.jpg

Do you use raw or steamed squash? Might have to try it this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raw, Nothing cooked. Obviously very well washed.

I wonder if anyone else feeds their peppermints mushrooms and whether or not they good or bad for them.

I just have never heard this before.

Mine likes (pealed) mushrooms also. I usually give a third of the mushroom with gills removed (as it gets everywhere)... All gone by the second day.

I also have some cherry shrimp in the same tank for more than a year now. Maybe some are getting eaten but I haven't seen my pep go after the cherries nor do I notice their numbers reducing.

Sign in to follow this